Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More Birds From Monday

Real Name
    Joe

More Birds From Monday

I shot these Monday morning at a nearby nature reserve. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Pileated Woodpecker

More Birds From Monday

Tri Colored Heron

More Birds From Monday

Anhinga drying it's feathers

More Birds From Monday

Great Blue Heron

More Birds From Monday

More Birds From Monday

Bald Eagles

More Birds From Monday

Real Name
    Terri

Re: More Birds From Monday

Great shots. My favorites are the Tri Colored Heron, the Great Blue #1 and the Eagles. So envious of the eagle shots. I've never seen an eagle in the wild and would love to photograph one. Then again, I see hawks all the time but have yet to photograph one of them either!

I always enjoy your photos. Thanks for sharing them!

Real Name
    Bobo

Very very nice day from the looks of it. Well done. I particularly like the GBH and eagle shots.

You did well to get woody - they usually don't like to stay once they detect humans (me anyway).

Real Name
    Paul

Dang Joe....yer killin me here! I search high and low all year to catch a Piliated. I saw one a football field away. They are all nice images. I love the Eagles poses, nice to catch them being so active.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Joe, although the Pileated Woodpecker has fantastic color, it's the majesty of the Bald Eagles that really capture my heart!

To me, that's the kind of pose an eagle in the wild should have.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Great shots. My favorites are the Tri Colored Heron, the Great Blue #1 and the Eagles. So envious of the eagle shots. I've never seen an eagle in the wild and would love to photograph one. Then again, I see hawks all the time but have yet to photograph one of them either!

I always enjoy your photos. Thanks for sharing them!
    Thanks Terri, very much appreciated. Eagles are fish hawks. Most time the area they inhabit is close to water. The eagles in this photograph nest at the edge of a large marsh but catch fish in a large lake that the marsh drains into.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Very very nice day from the looks of it. Well done. I particularly like the GBH and eagle shots.

You did well to get woody - they usually don't like to stay once they detect humans (me anyway).
    Thanks Bobo, this woody did not stay long. I got off three frames before it flew away.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Dang Joe....yer killin me here! I search high and low all year to catch a Piliated. I saw one a football field away. They are all nice images. I love the Eagles poses, nice to catch them being so active.
    Thanks Paul. I won't tell you that this pileated was about one hundred feet from the parking lot where my car was parked. As my wife and I were walking back to the car I heard a woodpecker pounding on a tree and as we approached the parking lot it was in a large oak tree.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Joe, although the Pileated Woodpecker has fantastic color, it's the majesty of the Bald Eagles that really capture my heart!

To me, that's the kind of pose an eagle in the wild should have.
    Thanks Frank, I agree regarding the pose of the eagles. That image is quite a big crop, the tree was quite aways into the marsh. One of them is the same eagle I photographed it flight and posted here.
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 13th October 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Thanks Paul. I won't tell you that this pileated was about one hundred feet from the parking lot where my car was parked. As my wife and I were walking back to the car I heard a woodpecker pounding on a tree and as we approached the parking lot it was in a large oak tree.
    Thanks for not telling me Joe, I know how you wouldn't want to rub it in.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joe,

Great series as usual.

My only thought was that (to me anyway) GBH #1 looks 'not level' judging by the reflections in the water.

I can't imagine shooting Bald Eagles (or any eagle) in the wild, although I have shot them at Birds of Prey centres over here. I'm living in the wrong bit of the country for birds that big really - a Red Kite (still impressive) is about our limit 'dahn south'.

I'll christen the Pileated Woodpecker "Tufty"

Cheers,

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Dave, thanks for viewing and commenting. Your eye is correct, I have leveled and corrected the original. Regarding the eagles, at one time when the pesticide DDT was prevalent our eagles were on the way to extinction. Now they have come back, in Florida they are quite common. A magnificent bird, with a wingspan of between six to eight feet. Most time they are well out in the center of the marsh, any lens short of a 800 or 1000mm is too short to reach. These two happened to fly overhead and landed in that tree about 300 feet away. Still had to crop and keep them small in the image but I think it works showing the tree around them. Regarding the Pileated Woodpecker... "Tufty" it is.