Thread: controlling iris in a football game

controlling iris in a football game

controlling the iris in a football game would be difficult specially when the sun is covering half of the football stadium horizontally.
    the question is how to control the iris fast enough when player moves from dark areas to bright areas in close shot??
    another thing when the shot is wide ,covering dark and bright areas at the same time.
    any suggestions..??

Real Name
    Mark

Re: controlling iris in a football game

Hi, and welcome, could you add your name and location to your profile so that we might help you better and call you by your name?

What camera / lens combination are you using? and can you put some example shots up so that we know what you are trying to achieve.

My initial thoughts are why would you worry because if you trying to shoot a match then its likely that the action will be in one light condition, i would use shutter priority and let the camera handle the rest if i wanted control of both shutter and aperture then id use auto ISO.

just a few quick thoughts but more information from you would help

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Can only control so much. When shooting in a stadium your postion is very imported. I find being at one end of the field or the other (end zone) works best for me what few I done taking in the fact if it's day light where the sun at or at night how the field lights are. Knowing what gear you have would help. Also welcome to CiC

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mhdtahhan View Post
    the question is how to control the iris fast enough when player moves from dark areas to bright areas in close shot??
    Let me try to answer your first question. I will shoot sports using one of three methods on my Canon 7D. Each method has its own pluses and minuses but, each method allows for very fast shooting.

I will very often shoot using shutter speed priority when shooting sports because I want to keep my shutter speed above a specific level to ensude that I can capture the action in a sharp manner. I wil always be cognizent of my f/stop while shooting and will sometimes need to increase or decrease the ISO depending on lighting.

I will sometimes shoot in Aperture priority, especially when I want to work with a large aperture to take advantage of selective focus. In this mode, I need to be cognizent of my shutter speed and may have to adjust the ISO.

I have lately been experimenting using manual exposure with auto ISO on my 7D. This will allow me to select a shutter speed that I want and also an aperture that I want. I always keep track of my ISO when shooting in this mode. I don't want my ISO to go up into the gazillions level. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on this mode since I have not experimented in any chancy lighting conditions.

As far as your last question, I really don't shoot wide areas when doing sports photography. I never shoot from the stands because I personally don't think it is worth carrying a camera to a sports event only to shoot from the stands. Additionally, many sports venues in the USA have some serious restrictions on the type of equipment you are allowed to cary into the stands. Additionally, it is often difficult to get an objective answer regarding what equipment is or is not allowed ino the venue. If you are stopped at the gate, carrying a long lens, you will need to return to your vehicle to store the lens. Not only do you need to wait on a line again to get into the venue but hot summer sun and the possibility of a break-in makes storing a long and expensive lens in your vehicle very problematic.

thank u all for ur rich info...im glad to be in CIC..
    but what if im using a video cam and a remote control panel (RCP)..
    actually i designed an OB van with 12 cams for shooting football games,,now my trouble is the picture,how must i adjust every cam in order make a good quality picture.
    tomorrow i have a game and it will be a sunny day..i think il try using shutter maybe 1/125 is it good in a sunny day??
    the cam is sony hxc100 and lens fujinon za17x7.6brm.
    thank u all

Real Name
    Mark

sorry way beyond me, i only know about still photog and then very little!

is that knee might help??

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

thank u all for ur rich info...im glad to be in CIC..
    but what if im using a video cam and a remote control panel (RCP)..
    actually i designed an OB van with 12 cams for shooting football games,,now my trouble is the picture,how must i adjust every cam in order make a good quality picture.
    tomorrow i have a game and it will be a sunny day..i think il try using shutter maybe 1/125 is it good in a sunny day??
    the cam is sony hxc100 and lens fujinon za17x7.6brm.
    thank u all
    This is getting into a bit more complexity than normal photography and certainly outside the area expertise of many of the members here. There are a few a members who have worked in the video and broadcast field though and they might be able to make some suggestions. You might want to consider asking at video site like: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/ ,as your question is more aimed at that type of work.

I assume that your are recording the video to be shown later, rather than a live broadcast?

I think you are exactly right as you should be doing a custom white balance (CWB) , based on the shooting conditions for every camera. You are shooting with higher end pro dedicated video cameras. The only way I know of achieving this is having a white target for each location that you are shooting under, zoom in and hit the AWB button on the camera. I store this as a preset. I'm not sure how the Sonys you are using are set up, but the Panasonics I use give me two presets to use, so I can do two CWB settings and would be able to get colour correct shots in the sunlight and shaded areas.

Not only that, but you should be looking at re-doing that CWB as the light changes. When shooting video I tend to do a CWB as part of the camera setup just before the slate in shot and find that for the type of shooting that I do, it's almost an automatic thing.

You can certainly do some colour correction in PP, but frankly it's a lot easier if you get the cameras right in the first place. I use Premiere Pro CS6 for my PP work and have the Colorista II plugin for colour corrections.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

is that knee might help??
    The knee is going to influence the look, especially if you are shooting under artificial lights. The main issue I have with the knee adjustments is that you can blow your highlights all too quickly if you set your knee to agressively. You get nice saturation, but can take away your headroom,

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Ah so you are doing videos: well that's outside of my area expertise for sure

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

controlling the iris in a football game would be difficult specially when the sun is covering half of the football stadium horizontally.
    another thing when the shot is wide ,covering dark and bright areas at the same time.
    any suggestions..??
    The fact that you are shooting video puts your question into a whole different light, and it makes a lot more sense now.

First of all, in video I disable all automatic controls, like autofocus, auto iris and auto white balance. I don't know of any serious video shooter that uses these controls for anything other than setting up the cameras, but then shoots on manual.

If you are using 12 cameras, then your problem is a lot simpler to solve.. Have different cameras set up for coverage in the light and dark areas and have the proper apertures for both as well as being focused to handle the coverage. Switch from light to dark preset cameras as the action moves from the bright to shaded areas. You can always use shots from the appropriate cameras in the final product.

The one thing you don't want is having your focus and your exposures "seeking" the right exposure and focus point. That is really disconcerting to the viewer and looks amaterish.