Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stroboflip

Real Name
    Mark

Stroboflip

Anyone use a strobogrip or c clamp? After seeing one in use the results were much better than a standard flash on camera

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Stroboflip

Hi Mark, ive been following your posts because i to am just buying lighting gear, but what in gods name is a stroboflip or grip? you have use both names and ive googled both and cant find anything!, how are you getting on with the cheap flashes?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I think you mean a Stroboframe

Stroboflip

The brand is owned by Tiffen; http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?...me=stroboframe

I like using it when I shoot becuase it gets the flash well away from the optical axis and I can use it with physically large lenses without them casting a shadow. When shooting in portrait mode, the flash sits over the camera and doesn't cause the light to come from one side or the other.

By the way there is no direct connection between the flash and camera, so there are really only tow choices. You can use a cable to connect to your hot shoe or sych connection or you can put your flash in slave mode and used your built-in flash to fire it.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 9th October 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for putting me out of my misery Manfred! I use one of these mark
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-l...acket/p1519332
    they very good and about half the price of the stroboframe.

Real Name
    Richard

Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket

I use a stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket with my DSLR Cameras and lenses. I virtually always bounce my flash and a camera flip bracket will keep the flash oriented in the correct direction when the camera is rotated from horizontal to vertical positions.

With a Flash Flip Bracket, the orientation of the flash changes as you flip it and you have to readjust the flash for bouncing.

Stroboflip

Stroboflip

The above is my first version of the camera flip bracket. It could be used as either a Camera Flip or a Flash Flip model since the flash bar articulates. I now use a camera flip bracket that has a solid curved bar on which the flash is mounted rather than the adjustable flash bar shown in the image. I like the solid bar because I often use it as a handle when I am carrying flash and camera. It is a very safe and convenient way to carry the rig.

The use of the Stroboframe Bracket provides a very solid two handed hold for the photographer. Additionally, when in the vertical position, the camera flip bracket keeps the shutter release button at the top of the camera while many Flash Flip models force you to fire the camera from beneath. While doable, this is knid of awkward for me.

BTW: I use a Canon Off Camera Sync Cord to trigger my flash even though the 7D is "supposed" to have wireless flash sync. When I shoot indoors, the "wireless" trigger (which should actually be designated an optical trigger) works O.K. However it becomes problematic when used outdoors. Sometimes the 7D will fire the flash mounted on the Stroboframe Bracket and sometimes it will not. It all depends on the angle, intensity and direction of the sun and the distance of the flash from your subject. So, I just use the off camera cord and don't have to worry about whether my flash will fire or not.

I have never purchased a Stroboframe bracket new. I have always purchased mine used from eBay. I looked on eBay UK and did not find a Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket, just a Stratos Flash Flip model.

I did find a used Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket on eBay USA. The auction for this bracket has reached $9.99 USD now with a bit over 6 days left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STROBOFRAME-...item2c68cfb029

You will notice that this bracket includes the cold shoe mounted on the flash bar which seems to be missing from the other two Stroboframe Brackets listed on eBay. I paid about $20 USD for my bracket and I had a spare cold shoe available to mount on the flash bar.

I always modify the light from my flash with a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro (DFD) [ www.dembflashproducts.com ]which produces very nice lighting for a variety of uses. The FlipIt portion of the DFD directs some of the light forward to fill shadows beneath eyebrows, noses and chins. IMO, it is a great investment for anyone bouncing with a hotshoe flash.

Stroboflip

Stroboflip

See my images done with bounced flash from the Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket using a Canon 7D with 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and Canon 550EX Speedlite, modified with the DFD at: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Portraits...1250&k=3dkpMt6
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th October 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Thanks for putting me out of my misery Manfred! I use one of these mark
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-l...acket/p1519332
    they very good and about half the price of the stroboframe.
    There is a fair bit of Lastolite gear available on this side of the Atlantic, but that is one device I don't recognize. I checked on some of the larger dealers I buy from, and it is no where to be seen. On the other hand, the Stroboframe I use cost me about $40, so it is considerably less expensive that your unit.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi mark, manfred, richard, yea me bad, i said strobo flip as a few guys here call them that for the flip aspect, forgot to add right name on here, you know when something gets in your head!
    Lovely shots richard, and great glad you like the mounts, going to order mine tommorow at the camera shop..
    Mark, i whent in the end for some nissin di622 flashes very nice, they have a better g number about 62m i belive on iso 200.
    Just got my ceiling painted black now, but the bad news is my boom fell down of the beams and broke the lot, its my fault i was moving the kayaks down from the loft space and forgot to take the boom down in case i dropped the yaks......guess what happened!.
    Ah well i wanted some new units,lol.
    Getting some lovely shots with off camera flashes at night outside using a shoot through umbrella, ill put some up soon, just quite busy at moment.
    Cheers guys.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi all, sorry about your flash disaster mark, hope the were insured! dont feel alone though i think colin southern has llost lots of flashes in a similar way!

manfred my mistake! the stroboframe is listed on amazon at £109 and the lastolite is £58 but i have noticed the stroboframe cheaper elsewhere, just goes to show amazon arnt always the cheapest!!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Stroboframe make a number of different models, some fairly light duty ones to ones meant primarily for medium format cameras, so this might be part of the price difference you are seeing online.