Thread: Secondhand Canon EOS7D

Real Name
    Pat

Secondhand Canon EOS7D

Hi folks,I have the chance to purchase a two year old 7D for €800, the owner bought from new and it was mostly used at weekends, and he estimates a shutter count of 20,000, he appears to be very genuine and the camera seems to be in excellent condition, as of yet I have only seen photos of the camera. My present 50D is about the same age and is still serving me well but I would like a second body and have been thinking for a while about the 7D and this comes along, Bird photography is something I do a lot and the 7D seems well suited to the task, your thoughts would be most appreciated,
    Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: Secondhand Canon EOS7D

I take it that's body only? If so body only here in states new is $1,088.00 vs 800 euros which is what $1042.00 Seems then that's high for a two year old camera. How much is it new there body only ?

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Paul,
    In this part of the world for the body only is €1,500.
    Regards, Pat

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

So $1,954.00 man things are high there . So in that case if the camera is in excellent condition that might not be a bad deal I think. If this guy is local I would see how it looks and maybe even take it out for some shots if he would let you.

Real Name
    John

Hi Pat,
    I would advise checking out ebay, they have fully refurbished EOS7D's for sale; body and 18-55mm lens + 2 batteries for £600 (744 Euro)

regards
    John

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Paul - European prices are taxes in, while North American prices tend tend to be exclusive of all sales taxes. One has to factor that in. I think the VAT is running at 23% in Ireland. If you do the math; a new body is 1155 Euros, the rest is taxes.

Real Name
    Richard

I cannot reply intelligently regarding the price of that 7D but, I can advise you that a 7D + 50D combination would be an excellent pair of cameras. I use a 7D + 40D as my go to camera set wearing 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses. I absolutely love the combination. I do prefer the 7D but, not enough the pay the extra money to replace my 40D with a second 7D.

The 7D and my 70-200mm f/4L IS or my 300mm f/4L IS lenses are absolutely great together! I love shooting fast moving subjects with these combinations:

7D + 70-200mm f/4L IS
    Secondhand Canon EOS7D

7D + 300mm f/4L IS
    Secondhand Canon EOS7D

The focus of the 7D is little short of wonderful and there are many other bells and whistles on the 7D that I enjoy!

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Paul - European prices are taxes in, while North American prices tend tend to be exclusive of all sales taxes. One has to factor that in. I think the VAT is running at 23% in Ireland. If you do the math; a new body is 1155 Euros, the rest is taxes.
    Never knew about the taxes in things,make more sense now

Certainly more than I would be willing to pay for a 2 year old camera, Pat.

I purchased mine from Big Norman last year and I see they are still selling for £861 inc delivery. Which I suppose is around 1,000 euros approx.

There are a few other sites selling for similar prices.

However, if it is from a camera dealer and comes with 6 months guarantee that would be a bit different.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Folks,
    Yes taxes can be a pain in this part of the world and rumour is they are about to rise in the next budget.
    I think I will hold off on the purchase of the camera.
    Geoff, I had a quick look at Big Norman and the camera is out of stock, Gibraltar I believe it is sited, is it under the EEC and if so are the prices quoted including tax.
    Best Wishes, Pat

Yes Pat, delivered with no problems or extra charges.

The camera developed a small fault, probably my fault to be honest, so I sent it to an authorised Canon repair company where it was fixed without charge or any problem.

When I wanted a new flash unit recently, Big Norman were out of stock so I purchased here http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=gbp

They are even cheaper for a 7D.

They are based in Hong Kong but have a UK depot and use UK carriers. Once again, no problems or charges. Packing etc was excellent. They ship worldwide so there shouldn't be any problem for you.

The only potential problem with these longer distances is the actual delivery date can be a bit variable. They are supposed to send a confirmation e mail giving exact delivery time but this doesn't seem to always happen. So it can mean hanging around unless you have suitable delivery arrangements.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Hi Pat,check Big Norman thoroughly everything seems to be out of stock seems odd to me......