Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: on line storage

on line storage

Having now had a 2nd 1Tb external drive fail in 6 months I'm now becoming paranoid I'm going to lose all my photos which total about 600Gb.

Can anybody recommend a reasonable cost on line storage solution which will accept any type of file (i.e RAWS) (flicker and Smugmug convert them as they are photo sites) I don't want to display anything, just pure storage.

The ones I've looked at seem expensive and then charge you for every download. I would have thought that a cost of under £50-£100 per year should be achievable?

thanks

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: on line storage

Wonder why your drive keeps failing I have a ioSafe Solo 2TB drive and never had any problems out it, I also back up my photos on a CD, never used a on-line service but I'm sure there some good ones out there.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

That sounds very strange indeed. What kind of external storage do you use? While I have had hard drives fail, this was almost always related to the age of the drive. I've had on fairly new drive fail only once; within a few weeks of installation, but that's it. The actual storage device has been running for about 5 years now and only one of the four drives has ever failed. I replaced the drive and the device when into mirroring mode and within a couple of days I had data redundancy again.

With with bandwidth restrictions and relatively low upload speeds (just under 600 kbs) online is only an option for me for a very limited number of the "best of the best" files.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm also surprised to learn of the failure rate of your external drives. My household uses two drives that are used at least once each day at home and two drives that are used once each week for storage away from home in case the home burns down. No problems whatsoever.

When I evaluated online storage offerings, I came to Manfred's conclusion that they are all far too slow. That was a few years ago, so perhaps my thinking about that is out of date.

they are both western digital drives.one called ministation and one called my passport. The mini station failed last time and this time it's the passport. Both developed the same problem of clunking noises and being unable to read.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

I never like WD drives, everyone I came across or have use was always very noisy but still they should not be failing left and right