Thread: where's my treat

Real Name
    Debbie

where's my treat

Trying different stuff, shallow depth of field, crazy crop, off center composition, grainy black & white post processing. C & C welcome.

where's my treat

Real Name
    Richard

Re: where's my treat

If you like it its good... No one else has to like an image that you enjoy to make it right for you!

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    If you like it its good... No one else has to like an image that you enjoy to make it right for you!
    Thanks. I wish I had included just a bit more of her left eye. I didn't notice it until after I put the image up.

Real Name
    Miltos

Debbie this unconventional composition works really well for me.

First of all the expression of the dog on the right is lovely. I like the juxtaposition of the two dogs on the diagonal of the frame, it creates a nice tension. I also see a nice non-interaction between the dogs, the first one seems to ask something from you while the other is looking the other directions. The viewer suspects that few moments ago both dogs were towards you since they are very close but something distracted the second one. The whole story makes me curious of what that would be.

The shallow DOF was also a good choice because the nose is out of focus. Being closer to the camera if it was sharp it would distract from the eyes and this marvelous stare.

I also think the tonalities you have chosen fits well and yes it would have been better to have included the whole left eye but you had less than half a second to capture the moment, the moment passed and will never come back so don't worry.

What I understand is that many people here won't be thrilled by this image. It's not super sharp, has impressive colors or shows a wonderful landscape. But for me this kind of photography is sometimes more powerful since it makes you think and not just admire. Even if it is something very simple like the interaction of two dogs and the camera.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

A lot of people won't like this image and I didn't like it at first. This is my third time of viewing it and I like it more and more with each visit. The aspect that I like the least are the bright spots on the ground (perhaps leaves) that compete with the mottled coloring of the dogs. Consider darkening them before converting to monochrome so they blend in with the background better.

Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    black & white post processing.
    The toning is noticeable enough that I would call this a monochrome image, not black-and-white.

Real Name
    Debbie

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Debbie this unconventional composition works really well for me.

First of all the expression of the dog on the right is lovely. I like the juxtaposition of the two dogs on the diagonal of the frame, it creates a nice tension. I also see a nice non-interaction between the dogs, the first one seems to ask something from you while the other is looking the other directions. The viewer suspects that few moments ago both dogs were towards you since they are very close but something distracted the second one. The whole story makes me curious of what that would be.
    Its foliage season in Vermont and its peak in my area. I went out this afternoon to try to capture some of it and failed miserably. So I took my camera, my tripod and my 35mm prime and a pocket full of dog treats to the backyard for the sole purpose of ruling camera malfunction out of the equation. Of course camera works fine. Dogs were milling about. Click.
    The shallow DOF was also a good choice because the nose is out of focus. Being closer to the camera if it was sharp it would distract from the eyes and this marvelous stare.
    I had 4 with the nose in focus. They didn't work. Delete.
    I also think the tonalities you have chosen fits well and yes it would have been better to have included the whole left eye but you had less than half a second to capture the moment, the moment passed and will never come back so don't worry.

What I understand is that many people here won't be thrilled by this image. It's not super sharp, has impressive colors or shows a wonderful landscape. But for me this kind of photography is sometimes more powerful since it makes you think and not just admire. Even if it is something very simple like the interaction of two dogs and the camera.
    Recently acquired Lightroom and was goofing with the presets.

I checked out your website. All of it lovely.

Debbie

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    A lot of people won't like this image and I didn't like it at first. This is my third time of viewing it and I like it more and more with each visit. The aspect that I like the least are the bright spots on the ground (perhaps leaves) that compete with the mottled coloring of the dogs. Consider darkening them before converting to monochrome so they blend in with the background better.

The toning is noticeable enough that I would call this a monochrome image, not black-and-white.
    Thanks. Interesting that you kept coming back to it. Yes, the bright spots on the ground are dead leaves......which are actually the talk of the town in these parts these days.

Debbie