Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Advice on lens.

Real Name
    Michael (Mike)

Advice on lens.

Hi Guys,
    My name is cameraaddict (Mike) and I am fairly new to Photography. I have just joined Cambridge in colour today. I live in Yorkshire UK.This is my first post!!!! My main interests are, landscape, macro and family photos. I have a 18 - 55mm lens which came with the camera (Canon 400D) and would like to know what lens will give me very good images.
    Many thanks.
    Cameraaddict

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Advice on lens.

Hi Mike and welcome!

I think a good starting point would be to think about where you think the kit lens isn't delivering what you want and then seeing what the alternatives are. What distance do you mostly use it at?

There are lots of lovely lenses out there. ..unfortunately for ones bank balance, so it is important to evalute what your needs are and do a lot of research

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A lens does not create good images, the photographer does.

Lens selection is really based on the type of photography that you do, and for landscape and family photos, your current lens will do just fine. If you are into macro images, a macro lens is the tool of choice. If by portraits you are looking for more of a closeup (head shot) type portrait, a slightly longer lens; 70mm - 80mm focal length might be more appropriate as the 55mm setting is at the lower end of the range. The most popular pro full-frame portrait lens tends to be the f/2.8 70 - 200mm lens, which translates to 45mm - 125mm range for your camera body.

One thing I would advise, regardless of which (if any) addtional lens you buy; don't duplicate a focal length you already have, unless you have a very good reason to do so.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 5th October 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

There's plenty of time to buy kit Mike, just take your time use the lens you have and see how it limits you focal length wise and the move from there, im not a canon man so i dont know much about that brand but if your looking for a sharp lens then try a prime (fixed focal length ) rather than a zoom like a 35mm this should be cheap enough.

Ask arround you may find someone who will lend you a lens to try. dont rush in to anything (if only i followed my own advice!)

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

I just cover this in another post but here gose again. The 18-55mm lens is a good lens to start with. Think of the 18-55mm lens as two lenses in one. If you have a kit lens of typical focal length, 18-55mm, then treat it as an 18mm and 55mm lens in one. The 18mm is a moderate wide-angle that is great for landscapes, architecture and environmental portraiture. The 55mm end is a short telephoto lens ideal for compressing perspective and taking portraits or closing in on details. That doesn’t mean you can’t use the in-between focal lengths, and there are times when you can’t avoid it, but by sticking with the shortest and longest focal lengths you will learn how those focal lengths behave. Lenses are the ‘eye’ of your camera system and your photos will improve as you learn the characteristics of each focal length. That being said your 18-55mm will do all that you want, maybe the photo quality won't be as good as some of the high end lens but none the less you can do it.

Real Name
    Michael (Mike)

Many thanks to all you "experts" for your advice. I shall digest all that you have said and progress slowly. I am pleased I have joined a forum with so many friendly people willing to help. I shall participate as often as I can.
    Thanks again.
    Mike.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Hello Mike.

Have a read of this thread as well. We were discussing the same sort of thing just a few days ago.

Welcome to CiC. I hope you enjoy being part of this forum.

So that you don't continue to get people asking you what your proper name is, because most us use that on here, you can go to Edit Profile and enter your proper name under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts. You can also enter your location so that it does the same, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.