Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landscape or Portrait

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Landscape or Portrait

I normally shoot Landscapes images in Landscape mode. In this case, owing to the nature of the composition, I shot it both in Landscape and Portrait modes as I couldn't decide which worked best.

When I opened the images, I blended them together as a cross shaped panorama to eliminate any differences in subject matter and then from the one image, cropped a Landscape and a Portrait view of the same image.

Hurrumpf! I still can't determine which is better so I thought I'd put it to the best photographic minds I know, the CiC forum members!

Please take a look at these two views and let me know your opinion.

Riverbanks Gardens, Columbia, South Carolina:

Landscape

Landscape or Portrait

Portrait

Landscape or Portrait

Which would be your preferred view and most importantly, why? Or perhaps there is another composition option that would be preferred, like square crop??

Hopefully, I will learn something new about Landscape verses Portrait composition!

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: Landscape or Portrait

Hmmm, the big question. Landscape of portrait orientation for an one vanishing point image?

Well I have to admit they both work well. I have a small preference to the first one (landscape) as I see more of the sides so my eye has a longer route to follow until the end of the corridor so I spend more time on the image exploring it trying to find hidden details.

If you can't decide why don't you just try a square frame?

There isn't a lot of great interest in the sides and with the portrait style that water course looks a lot longer.

But the square crop idea is certainly a good compromise.

Real Name
    Dave

As already said Frank, they are both good shots (ignoring the somewhat blown sky, which in this situation is going to be difficult deal with)

My preference is for the portrait photo. The rill gives a very strong line(s) into the image and I think this lead in works best in the portrait image. There is good detail at what appears to be just below the observer's feet that draws the eye in.

However, I have to admit that I often take photos of landscapes in portrait format. I think that 'landscape' refers to what you are viewing, not how you have to record it.

Dave

Real Name
    Andrew

Portrait for me!! I agree with Dave, and Geoff's comments. Nice strong lines, and makes the symmetry aspect of it really stand out strongly.

That's what I think!

difficult choice..
    in the portrait, my eye lingers too much on the details of the water in the foreground (bottom) but the perpective is more 'dynamic'
    in the landscape it appreciate better the leading lines of the trees towords the house, that becomes the main subject
    a square crop, as suggested, it's worth a try...
    otherwise a little preference for the landscape mode...

Real Name
    Dave

I think that the portrait orientation is nearest, but as has been said the picture loses interest at the bottom / foreground, but I really don't think it should have a "square" crop. To me, it works best by cropping out the bottom shortly after the sky reflection gives way to being able to see the bottom of the stream, about where the landscape shot stops. I think that's the strongest image - and thanks, Frank, for showing the photos and making us think!

Real Name
    randy

I prefer the portrait orientation as I feel that the leading lines are more prominent.............BUT..........I really like the idea in this case, I think cut off lower portion just above yellow leaf in water.

Real Name
    Graham

Hi Frank,
    I looked at both and I prefer the landscape but it comes alive if you crop to a more panoramic format by cropping to just under the first weir. I think the square option would be too constrained on the sides.
    Graham

Real Name
    Christopher

The foreground in the portrait format picture is weak. An object - such as a large ball bearing, or some polished part of an engine, a piston perhaps - dropped into the water in the lower left foreground would draw the eye, and so make good the deficiency, while disrupting the predictability of the composition.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you all so much for contributing your thoughts and feelings on this thorny issue. So far it looks like more folks prefer the Portrait orientation but with reservation and suggestions for both orientations.

I have not as yet attempted to do any normal post processing such as addressing the washed-out sky, adjusting the crop ratio (other than to deliberately set them to be identical), or tossing an automobile piston in the water to add interest!

This may be one of those images that could post processed to make the best of each orientation and result in two views of the same scene, each with it's own strengths, weaknesses, and following.

I think I'll wait a day or so for others that may not have had a chance to see the thread contribute before deciding if I should go Portrait, Landscape, or both. Hopefully others will be willing to present their views, the reasons for their preference, and perhaps add additional suggestions for how the image should look.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

i agree with Graham - try a more panoramic crop of the landscape You would still have the leading lines but I think this would 'open up' the shot more.

Real Name
    Orlando

My vote's for portrait. but with hesitation! I like the pink and lilac on the sides that are cut out when portrait. But I like the effect of the leading line.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Haven't read any of the other posts so don't know what folks have said.

For me the landscape image is a more pleasing scene. The reason I say that is that I see this as a picture of a garden, in which that water feature is a key part of the architecture. In that image I can see the garden. It is the dominant element in the frame.

The portrait image is, in my mind, a picture of a water feature in a garden that also includes a bit of the garden. That's fine, but the water feature is not nice enough on its own to make for a good image.

Okay, that's my thoughts. Now, I'll read what the others have written.
    Last edited by Donald; 6th October 2012 at 05:17 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Frank,

My vote is for Portrait, but with a little crop off the bottom, so that none of the water can escape out of the sides.

i.e. crop so the top inner corners of the edging stones are what goes into the corners of the frame.

Maybe it is cliched, but it enhances the lead in lines effect.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    For me the landscape image is a more pleasing scene. The reason I say that is that I see this as a picture of a garden, in which that water feature is a key part of the architecture. In that image I can see the garden. It is the dominant element in the frame.

The portrait image is, in my mind, a picture of a water feature in a garden that also includes a bit of the garden. That's fine, but the water feature is not nice enough on its own to make for a good image.
    My vote is landscape, largely for Donald's reasons.

Real Name
    Griddi

I agree absolute with Donald, so my choice is for Landscape, as for my liking too the photo is more " complett " with the house, garden and water.......

Just my thoughts, what it is worth......

Such of quiet scene seems to be on landscape shape,for me.
    If there should be a "terrorist base" or something which means danger then on the portrait shape would go but only in a photo reportage for a magazine .I modified them only a little to understand much more well what I said
    Thank you.
    Radu
    Landscape or Portrait
    Landscape or Portrait
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 6th October 2012 at 06:41 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you one and all for your views and comments. It looks like we are fairly well split on which view is preferred. I have tried then to post process each view with the feedback received.

It’s Landscape for Miltos, Geoff, Nicola, Graham, Helen, Donald, Bruce, Griddi and Radu. I extended the width as Helen suggested and went asymmetrical with the composition. I didn’t have a terrorist handy for Radu so I had to make do with what I had at hand!

Landscape or Portrait

This view puts more emphasis on the foliage and walkway on the left.

And Portrait for Dave (Tringa), Andrew, Dave (Davidedric), Randy, Christopher, Orlando and Dave (Humphries). I cropped higher as several have suggested but unfortunately I didn’t have a polished engine piston to toss into the water! Sorry Christopher!

Landscape or Portrait

I left this one symetrical to emphasize the water feature and tried to improve the blown sky.

In a way it is a shame that we can’t portray portrait images as large as landscape ones owing to the aspect ratio of most monitors and the way images are captured by TinyPics.

And not to be left out, the alternate Square crop for Geoff and Nicola!

Landscape or Portrait

Now that there has been some post processing done and we have three views to compare, does anyone want to change their vote or add additional feedback?

At this point I am leaning towards the Square crop. It doesn't have as much of the garden or walkway and the water feature has been reduced but overall, it feels like a slightly stronger image.

<EDIT> I just realized that I had not applied the same colour tone settings to the Landscape image as I had to the other two image so I have re-posted the Landscape image with matching colour tone settings.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 7th October 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Square crop for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast