Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Iceland: Turf Huts

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Iceland: Turf Huts

Sel (translation: hut) is a small farm site within Skaftafell National Park. All of the buildings at Sel are turf huts.

If things go according to plan, this brings my posting of photos of Iceland to an end. Many thanks to all of you for sharing in the conversation about them!

Iceland: Turf Huts

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Iceland: Turf Huts

And that's not a bad way to bring the series to a close. It's been great to see it being revealed.

Just as a matter of interest - Are these huts still occupied? I'd imagine the insulation was pretty good.

Wikipedia indicates that the turf buildings were abandoned in 1943 and are now maintained by a museum. Not that we can believe everything at Wikipedia, but there was no evidence to the contrary when we were there.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Wikipedia indicates that the turf buildings were abandoned in 1943 and are now maintained by a museum. Not that we can believe everything at Wikipedia, but there was no evidence to the contrary when we were there.
    Hi Mike, was this the case for all the turf building you saw or just the ones in Skaftafell?

Thanks Mike it's been a wonderful trip from this end can't imagine how awesome it had to be for you all. I haven't posted on them all but I have viewed them one by one. Thanks for sharing! Have a safe trip home.

Thanks so much, Carl. We've been home for three weeks. It's taken that long for me to gradually cull, post-process and catalog the images. Fortunately, all of that is thoroughly enjoyable for me. I feel so bad for the people who dislike post-processing.

Real Name
    Paul

I too have enjoyed the jouney, you certainly came away with some nice and very interesting images.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Thanks so much, Carl. We've been home for three weeks. It's taken that long for me to gradually cull, post-process and catalog the images. Fortunately, all of that is thoroughly enjoyable for me. I feel so bad for the people who dislike post-processing.
    Your welcome and in that case glad you all made it home safe three weeks ago.
    I know what you mean. I can't wait to get home and download into LR4 and get started. It's hard for me to tell which I like best shoot or PP. I know some here shoot JPEG and RAW but for me it's RAW.