Thread: The Block

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

The Block

The Block

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: The Block

Ah, the female equivalent of Rugby, as in "a thug's game, played by gentlemen"

Women's Rugby - please don't get me started on THAT subject!!!

Personally I'd like to see a little more space around the players (I presume it's your daughter facing the camera). The composition's a bit too tight for me. Maybe using the girls' shadows as part of the composition would strengthen it further as well.

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Ah, the female equivalent of Rugby, as in "a thug's game,
    Are you calling my daughter a thug? I hope you realise that Lacrosse is a non contact sport (not that my girl's black and blue arms split lips and lumps all over her head would tell you anything different). I would say that it is far more skilled and graceful than womens rugby and does not compare in any way to that sport. What a cheek

Yes I agree about the crop but there was so much going on around the shot and I am technically incapable of taking them out of the picture and on to another background. I do not have the time to spend days cloning out their surrounding team mates but hopefully one day soon I will try to get to grips with Photoshop and be able to improve my images.

Joanne

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by mammarazzi View Post
    Are you calling my daughter a thug? I hope you realise that Lacrosse is a non contact sport (not that my girl's black and blue arms split lips and lumps all over her head would tell you anything different). I would say that it is far more skilled and graceful than womens rugby and does not compare in any way to that sport. What a cheek

Yes I agree about the crop but there was so much going on around the shot and I am technically incapable of taking them out of the picture and on to another background. I do not have the time to spend days cloning out their surrounding team mates but hopefully one day soon I will try to get to grips with Photoshop and be able to improve my images.

Joanne
    As in it's a dangerous sport, and played by ladies

Can't vouch for your daughter though

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Joanne, Your shot works for me just as it is. For an action shot you have done very well. I don't go with the substantive alteration of reportage shots in post processing beyond the basic necessary tweaks of levels, sharpening and maybe some cropping, nor would any publication editor with any integrity. Cloning other players in or out, and changing the background of an image like this is a no-no!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I thought I'd posted a reply, but it seems to have got lost in space. So, anyway ..................

Great sports action shot.

The intensity of her gaze and concentration in trying to read the intentions of the opponent is super. All she needs to do now is a little step to the side to execute (by accident of course) the perfect body-check (or 'professional' foul).

That image is all about that look. great.