Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Phew

Real Name
    Phil Page

Phew

Has anyone else had the same experience as me here:

I was shooting this morning, with around 300 shots on my CF card since I last uploaded to my PC and backed up. I was checking my LCD to review a shot and noticed 3/3 showing. Shocker!

Had 300 shots been deleted and formatted by mistake?

No

Luckily not - the shot counter in Nikon rolls over - when you have a new camera, files are saved as (for example on a D700) 100ND700, followed by _DSC****.NEF or .JPG. Once you get to 9999 it rolls over into a new folder name (e.g. 101ND700_DSC0001.NEF) and only shows 1 shot on the card.

So I've just rolled past 20,000 clicks on the D700. And to mark this landmark - a very average shot!

Real Name
    Trev

Re: Phew

The least you can do is post the very average shot ;-)

Real Name
    Phil Page

LOL - I'll post in tonight when I'm in from work

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I've never had that exact heart-jumps-into-the-throat moment, but I did have a different one recently. I had forgotten that I had configured the playback to display only the images in a particular folder rather than the entire card. When the image count displayed was tens of images instead of hundreds of images, I was a bit concerned, to say the least.

I had something similar happen to my TV set. It has an internal hard disk programme recorder which normally works fine. Until I accidentally programmed in more than the drive would hold. Then, without any warning, it deleted everything and formatted to a clean drive.