Thread: I bought the Canon 50mm 1.4

Real Name
    Krisztina

I bought the Canon 50mm 1.4

My FIRST lens. Budget reasons, I ended up with the 50mm1.4...

So, here is a series of shot I've taken and edited. I think my daughter is gorgeous and her natural beauty is what captivates me. I can't get enough. I'm still learning,I know it's obvious. I hope you like my images as much as I do- I don't mind feed back- it helps me learn- gain new perspective- and a chance to grow as an artist.
    Camera: Canon 5D 12.8mp

1. Collage: Oh, Give me Some Love:

2. Mini buns overnight = curls in the morning

3. Kind of reminds me of The Childlike Empress (Never Ending Story)...

4. Sitting in her "special" space she created herself so she can read

5. Singing Angel of Mine

6. I bought the Canon 50mm 1.4

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I bought the Canon 50mm 1.4

That lens does offer up the opportunity for some very creative stuff with depth-of-field.

I love the collage 'Oh give me some love'. A gorgeous story of happy, innocent childhood. That is something to treasure and although perhaps feigning embarrassment of it when they're in their 20s and 30s, both of them will be very proud of it and thank you for making it.

With the others I'd say - Watch the light on the face. You've got images there with dappled light on the face, which doesn't really complement a face very well.

Real Name
    Grahame

Krisztina, a great series and interesting trial of your new lens. I have the nikon 50mm 1.4 and love the DOF oppurtunities available with it along with the low light use bonus. Have fun.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Thank You, Donald for your comment. My hope is when they are arguing as teenagers I will have a montage of Love to show them

Regarding the dappled light- I like the fantasy/mood it creates- but maybe that is something that has to be a hit or miss (wasn't planned- but maybe it should be- could be cool if it's done right?? - Can you please tell me specifically that throws you off/ which doesn't compliment the face- which areas of the face look less pleasing to you- is it her nose? I just want to get an idea of what you're saying and what I haven't yet... I am her mother, so I know I am biased... and there are times where I start focusing on an image (that I first loved) and see something totally not like what I first saw- almost a total different person kinda deal...
    Thanks again Donald. I just really want to know if I'm on the right track- do I have potential to creating art with my photographs... or am I just in love with the idea/my daughter.... I need to step out of my comfort zone!!
    Kz

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Captured View Post
    Regarding the dappled light- I like the fantasy/mood it creates
    And that is fine.

but maybe that is something that has to be a hit or miss (wasn't planned- but maybe it should be- could be cool if it's done right??
    Now, THAT is the real crux of the issue. If you consciously go for that sort of image and work on the composition in the knowledge of what you are doing, then you are more likely to, as you say, get it right. However, if it's done by accident, then I think it will show. For example, on #3 and #4 above, look at the side of her face. There are ring marks - light flares. You need to manage the light and if you can do that, then you can get very creative.

I just really want to know if I'm on the right track- do I have potential to creating art with my photographs.
    I think you do. And what is important, I think, is that you have an emotional connection with your subject. In this case, you have a very strong love and that is going to show through in your images, which is a good thing. For me, photography is 90% feeling and passion and 10% technical skill. For other folks it's the other way around, which is fine too.

What you have to do when photographing her is feel that love, but at the same time be a bit dispassionate and become 'the photographer', not just 'mom'. The you'll combine your love and your skill to get the best possible images.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And that is fine.

Now, THAT is the real crux of the issue. If you consciously go for that sort of image and work on the composition in the knowledge of what you are doing, then you are more likely to, as you say, get it right. However, if it's done by accident, then I think it will show. For example, on #3 and #4 above, look at the side of her face. There are ring marks - light flares. You need to manage the light and if you can do that, then you can get very creative.

I think you do. And what is important, I think, is that you have an emotional connection with your subject. In this case, you have a very strong love and that is going to show through in your images, which is a good thing. For me, photography is 90% feeling and passion and 10% technical skill. For other folks it's the other way around, which is fine too.

What you have to do when photographing her is feel that love, but at the same time be a bit dispassionate and become 'the photographer', not just 'mom'. The you'll combine your love and your skill to get the best possible images.
    Regarding Image number 3 and 4... How shall I say this... I thought it was an added touch- I added that Lens flare through pp in photoshop...after I finish typing this response, I will go look for the original image (that is if I saved it- not so good w/ organization/filing etc)
    I do want to achieve that look, and I admit, this was just a spur of the moment shot- I was just there photographing them - "playing" with them

I do love her, and do work towards showing the love and beauty I have for her and see in her- but while doing so, I want to do more, get connected with others and create meaningful art for them... still trying to find my way....
    I will keep on, thank you!

Real Name
    Krisztina

Original

Real Name
    Miltos

I love your collages Krisztina. Fantastic.

I also own this lens, if I was to choose to have only one affordable lens this would be my choice.

Nice shots. The 50mm lens is great. I have that myself though struggle with the 1.4 aperture to get any crispness in the shot at all. I try not to go lower than 2.8 at my current level of inability.