Thread: It's called Iceland for a reason.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's called Iceland for a reason.

Despite that the name, Iceland, means island in Icelandic, the name apparently conjures up scenes of ice-covered landscapes in most people's minds. Even so, I was not prepared for the lava beach on the Atlantic Ocean in southern Iceland that is strewn with chunks of ice ranging from about six inches to about 36 inches across. Their origin is the icebergs that calve from a nearby glacier. The icebergs float to the ocean, become much smaller, and are eventually reduced to chunks of ice that are deposited on the black beach. It's a very surrealistic scene, especially at sunrise, and is nothing like anything I have ever seen.

C&C encouraged, as always!

Last edited by Mike Buckley; 28th September 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: It's called Iceland for a reason.

Very cool...pun intended I love the light in the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Very cool...pun intended
    Thanks for getting that out of the way so soon.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hey Mike,
    Nice photos.
    In 1st two pics, I got confused if those were waves in the background or hills..
    I settled with hills...
    Do you have a picture of the misty background too?

Sahil,

I wonder if you reviewed the large images in the Lightbox. Regardless, your request for an image of the misty background gives me a good reason to show my favorite image captured by my wife (post-processed by me).

Last edited by Mike Buckley; 28th September 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

WoW! Those are waves!!!!
    Errrr. well yea I didn't view it in lightbox.. My bad...
    Thanks for sharing those shots Mike, with someone who lives in a city which is like 1000 kms away from beaches & never sees snow
    I could have only imagined that kind of place... I would love to see more of those shots...

Real Name
    Bobo

One of the most difficult things I found last winter was photographing ice in bright evening orange light. So much so that nothing came out properly - either ice was blown, highlights blown, etc. Tried everything that is in my limited capability and all failed. Also got more and more confused and frustrated as I went along and finally aborted. Though a teeny bit wiser now that experience still haunts me and whenever a tricky light situation crops up I still get all confused and frustrated.

With that as an introduction - I see some of the same issues I had. But you have keepers so something was done right. From a presentational perspective I like the one in post 5 best. Just the right amounts of colour, brights, highlights, etc. Just looks good.

Real Name
    Gary

In FrankMi's posts he has shown the architectural splendour of Barcelona. In this series of Iceland you have shown the beauty of the landscape of Iceland. These are really nice images. The last one is a corker which epitomises the elements that seem to exist in this sparse but beautiful landscape.

Cheers for now

Gary

Bobo,

There's no question that photographing and post-processing ice with direct sunlight shining through it is one of the most difficult yet rewarding things I've ever done in the world of photography. Add to that the difficulty of also dealing with a black beach. Sheesh! I also did it in only one fleeting sunrise and would love to have have the opportunity to become more adept at it.

I'm apparently happier with my images than you were with yours. I wonder if that's because I am lucky enough to have achieved the look that I had in mind and perhaps had a look in mind that is easier achieve than whatever you envisioned.

There are some blown highlights in the ice but only in very small areas. When I display the blown highlights in my software, they are nothing more than tiny dots separated from each other. The last image suffers from a blown, horizontal strip in the right side of the sky or mist (I can't tell which it is because it's blown.) Bringing out the detail in the black sand was impossible in the areas where the blocks of ice were casting shadows, preventing the texture in the tiny grains of sand from showing.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 28th September 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thank you, Gary.

It's interesting that Gary and Bobo like #5 so much, which is my wife's capture. I'll be sure to let her know that you like it as much as I do. She is far less experienced than I am, has less command of her camera system, and uses a consumer zoom lens with no tripod. Yet she always comes back with the best image. There's a message in there somewhere.

Anyone interested in going to this beach should look on a map or GPS system for Jokulsarlon (translation: glacial river lagoon). That's a lagoon filled with icebergs that is 4 1/2 hours from Reykjavik on the Ring Road according to Google Maps. Pull off the road into a parking area for visiting the lagoon. Pull off the other side of the road to a parking area for visiting the beach pictured here.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 28th September 2012 at 12:01 PM.

#6 -- converted from #3

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Mike - if you really want to impress the folks, you'll have to tell them at the ungodly hour you got up (or perhaps stayed up until) to get those shots. I'm not a morning person, so most of my "golden hour" shots, especially in the summer, tend to be taken at sunset. Shooting existing light images in early July just around midnight somehow seems wierd...

Nice shots, the morning light was truly stunning with the black rocks and the ice.

Thanks, Manfred. Though we did have to get up early, this was early September. Sunrise was at about 6:00am and our hotel was only 30 minutes away by design. We saw the lagoon on the other side of the highway the previous afternoon in complete cloud cover. Even so, it was so beautiful that it was the first time my wife was actually looking forward to getting up early enough to be anywhere other than sound asleep in bed at sunrise.

By the way, these are the very first images that I captured after you revived my camera. If my wife and I had been sharing the same camera, we would not have come back with so many nice memories. So, again, many thanks to you!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 28th September 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It's interesting that Gary and Bobo like #5 so much, which is my wife's capture. I'll be sure to let her know that you like it as much as I do. She is far less experienced than I am, has less command of her camera system, and uses a consumer zoom lens with no tripod. Yet she always comes back with the best image. There's a message in there somewhere.
    All of these images are great, but #5? Lovely indeed! Perhaps she concentrates on the composition and doesn't get side-tracked with the camera's technical details?

To me, visualizing the scene should indeed have the higher priority.

No matter how technically perfect I photograph mush, in the end, it is still, well....? LOL!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 28th September 2012 at 02:32 PM.

Real Name
    Terri

the only one that doesn't stand out for me is #3. the rest have such gorgeous light that it is overshadowed (no pun intended ) I do have to pick #5 as my favorite. Besides that beautiful light in the ice, the colors are stunning. I'm also in love with #1 & #2 for the same reasons. That sunrise reflected in those chunks of ice is really beautiful.

Real Name
    Kenny

Stunning images Mr & Mrs B! I agree with most that 1, 2 and 5 are my personal favourites and I am thoroughly enjoying the series on Iceland. Having never been there your images are inspiring, though I doubt I could convince the boss to go any further north than Scotland since she's such a southern sun lover.

Real Name
    Miltos

Fascinating subject and amazing captures Mike. It's fantastic how the morning light refracts through the ice. And the contrast with the black sand beach....

I like all of them but not the BW conversion, I think the shadows within the ice get lost.

Again congrats Mike, hope there is more!

Yes #1, 2 & 5 for me also. I am in awe at the stunning photos you have been posting. Thank You for sharing.

Thank you all for your very informative comments. Considering the positive reaction to my wife's image, I started a new thread so you can see more of her stuff captured that morning at this beach: My wife's view of why it's called Iceland