Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tolt River

Real Name
    Paul

Tolt River

More like a creek really.
    Last saturday I had to run just out of town to look at a job, I thought I would stop in the valley and see what I could see. It rained all morning and I had a few hours to kill due to my eagerness.
    I managed a few images between rains, this is one. Fall is not quite set in yet...but it's coming.

Tolt River

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Tolt River

This is a really interesting image. It requires a lot of study but it's not too busy. I like the soft mood, the textured foreground and the composition.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Mike, I did not really think it worked at first but something pushed me to have a go. I am glad I did.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hi Paul,

I am sorry but this image is not working for me. I had a look at it after hiding the stoney foreground.. It looked a li'l better to me. And I feel giving it a warmer tone will help enhancing the image, but it could be my laptop's monitor, deceiving my eyes.

Real Name
    Paul

No worries my friend, I won't hold it against you. I normally like a little warmer image myself, but here I left it a bit cooler as it better reflected the actual scene....a misty rainy day. We have no shortage of them here but I don't shoot enough of them.

I thank you for your input Sahil. It is nice to get honest feedback in either direction, whether or not I feel the same.

I do however plan to return when the fall colors have progressed and in the evening light. Here I was shooting nearly directly into the light.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    No worries my friend, I won't hold it against you.
    Phew!
    This surely is a beautiful place to visit.

Real Name
    Paul

Yes it is Sahil, and should you visit give me a shout.

Really nice looking place and you captured it very well. I love the older bridges! Makes me want to pull the rod and reel out of the trunk and fish awhile. I like the rocks in the foreground as they seem to pull me right into the image.

I think, Paul, that I would try a crop from the right side and,if you want to keep the same image ratio, a bit from the top and/or bottom.

This would concentrate more on the bridge and give a stronger overall effect. But don't crop too tight.

Real Name
    Bobo

That is the thing about landscapes, everyone has a different way of looking at it.

As for this landscape challenged BB, I think it is a very fine image.

Next time take some while it is raining. Would have made for a very nice mystical type of image (I think).

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you Carl.

Geoff, I can see and understand where you are going with the crop.....however I feel it just takes too much of the flow in the composition leaving a better look at the bridge but less driving you to it. It also seem to be more iradically busy. If that makes any sense.

Bobo,thanks and you are correct. It just was not raining hard enough to show.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Paul, I like the feeling this image conjures up in me. I might experiment with cropping some of the foreground rocks.

Karm

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Hi Paul,
    I like the general composition, but either not soft enough or not hard enough.
    I've brought out the clouds a bit more and darkened the water to produce something a little more contrasty.
    Just an idea, everyone sees differently (good thing too).
    Graham
    Tolt River

Real Name
    Paul

Yes Graham, it would be a pretty boring world if we all saw the same way. Having said that, I do like what you have done.