Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fall Color on the Backroads of Colorado

Real Name
    Terri

Fall Color on the Backroads of Colorado

Here are a few fall color shots from our 4x4 off road trip. The first two are on Engineer Pass trail out of Silverton. The last one is on Cinnamon Pass trail out of Lake City.

As was mentioned in another thread, I notice that these also have a higher ISO than was necessary for these shots. I'm shooting in manual, so I'm paying attention to the shutter and aperture but I must remember to change the ISO when traveling through different lighting conditions!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Fall Color on the Backroads of Colorado

You've got some gorgeous color going on there, Terri. It is really masterful of you to position the foreground bush as you did in the last one. That adds a three-dimensional element to the scene that would otherwise be nice but not special.

I spent my summer between high school and college welcoming the train to Silverton, serving lunch, and doing my small part in the musical numbers and the night-time melodramas. 30 years later, Silverton hadn't changed much.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Yes beautiful colours Terri. They are all nice shots but #3 is my favourite too - excellent composition which makes for a very interesting image.

Dave

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You've got some gorgeous color going on there, Terri. It is really masterful of you to position the foreground bush as you did in the last one. That adds a three-dimensional element to the scene that would otherwise be nice but not special.

I spent my summer between high school and college welcoming the train to Silverton, serving lunch, and doing my small part in the musical numbers and the night-time melodramas. 30 years later, Silverton hadn't changed much.
    thanks, Mike for the feedback. Since you mention Silverton, I'll post these photos just for you. My husband took the train pic. About the only difference we noticed from our last visit over 30 years ago was that they'd paved the streets. Perhaps you greeted us when we got off the train!

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Yes beautiful colours Terri. They are all nice shots but #3 is my favourite too - excellent composition which makes for a very interesting image.

Dave
    It's interesting that you and Mike both commented on #3. I almost didn't take that shot because I was looking right into the sun. But it seemed most of the pictures I wanted to take that day were facing the sun!

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Here are a few fall color shots from our 4x4 off road trip. The first two are on Engineer Pass trail out of Silverton. The last one is on Cinnamon Pass trail out of Lake City.

As was mentioned in another thread, I notice that these also have a higher ISO than was necessary for these shots. I'm shooting in manual, so I'm paying attention to the shutter and aperture but I must remember to change the ISO when traveling through different lighting conditions!

Beautiful Photos . . . wishing I were there!!!!!!

Kathy

All beautiful photo's with #1 & 3 being my favorites. The reds mixed with the green and yellows is awesome! Three looks like one of those spots you could sit and daydream for hours while listening to the water below.
    I do miss the fall colors. Here in southeast Louisiana we don't see much of those colors at all.

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice Terri, things are starting to change here as well but not nearly like what you have going on. Love the colors.

This is really fun, Terri. I realize now that I was wrong; I returned to Silverton about 25 years later in 1991, not 30 years. My pictures reveal that the train depot at that time was still not paved.

If a group of college kids greeted you bearing signs advertising all-you-can-eat spaghetti for $0.99 (I think) and if one of them was in the role of the town drunk wearing an over-sized trench coat who shoots himself in the foot, that was me or someone attempting to be as good as me at being a complete idiot.

Real Name
    Mark

i just love those colours, really beautiful, you know, it may sound a bit cliche, but that is the sort of town i would love to live in if i ever moved to usa, out in the country but still old country....if you get my meaning

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm just jealous of all you people being able to visit the locations made so famous (in photography terms) by a certain Mr Adams. His image 'Silverton' is one of my favourites. I find it captivating.

Real Name
    Kenny

Lovely photographs of stunning scenery. I also like #3 and like Donald, would love to see these places for myself one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm just jealous of all you people being able to visit the locations made so famous (in photography terms)
    Says the man who lives in Europe. Sheesh!

(Yes, I realize that I took your comment out of context. It was fun doing that. )

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    All beautiful photo's with #1 & 3 being my favorites. The reds mixed with the green and yellows is awesome! Three looks like one of those spots you could sit and daydream for hours while listening to the water below.
    I do miss the fall colors. Here in southeast Louisiana we don't see much of those colors at all.
    thanks, Carl. We don't usually see much fall color at our place in north Texas either so I really enjoy the falls up here. Both for the color and the LACK of ragweed which I'm highly allergic to.

Real Name
    Terri

thanks, EVERYONE, for your encouraging comments.

Donald and Kenny - we'll just have to find a photographer's exchange program. Of all the places in Europe, it's always been my dream to visit Scotland! We'll make it over there someday.