Thread: Oi - Get your hands off my melons

Real Name
    Phil Page

Oi - Get your hands off my melons

Proud stall keeper in the market

Oi - Get your hands off my melons

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Oi - Get your hands off my melons

I like the image, though I don't think tour caption fits well. Both of his hands extend beyond the depth of field, especially his right hand, so I don't see the man as protecting his melons. Instead, I see him as caressing them.

I wonder if brightening the person and the melons would help counteract the competition of the bright light in the background.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like the image, though I don't think tour caption fits well. Both of his hands extend beyond the depth of field, especially his right hand, so I don't see the man as protecting his melons. Instead, I see him as caressing them.

I wonder if brightening the person and the melons would help counteract the competition of the bright light in the background.
    To counteract the brightness I'd need to bracket. The dynamic range is far too great. The person and melons were brightened and the background darkened.

I was trying to be drole

Clearly I missed the mark

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Phil,

Usually, as long as the shooter likes his image, no prob with me. Just that sometimes I hear CnC about such foreground hands/arms similar which looks disproportionate to the subjects body/head.
    In this situation, how would you address such . Will you edit the hands out? or simply take note and file it for future reference.

Thanks in advance.

Vic

( for me, if the hands help emphasize the message of the image, I'd leave it as is. Otherwise, I'd file it for future reference. Maybe avoid such foregrounds next time.)
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 26th September 2012 at 06:01 AM.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Hi Vic

This is a 35mm lens on full frame - so slightly wide angle. As it is slightly wide, objects nearer the lens will appear slightly larger than with a normal lens. Depth in the image is slightly exaggerated.

With this shot to expose the scene OK (I say OK because of the high dynamic range) I shot at f3.2 and 1/100th second, ISO200. If I wanted to get the hands and arms in focus, the background would also be more in focus. To do that I'd need to shoot at around f16 here, as the subject's hand is close to the lens. f16 would require an exposure of 1/100th and ISO6400, or 1/50th and ISO3200. 1/50th is the lowest I'd go with a static subject hand held at 35mm on full frame. I could push to 1/30th with good technique, but the subject may move a little during the exposure. So it's a case of swings and roundabouts. I'm not concerned with slightly out of focus immediate foregrounds as I prefer more depth and pop in my shots.

Having said all that, this was my first shot in the souk and just a grab so I'm not really bothered!

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Hi Vic

This is a 35mm lens on full frame - so slightly wide angle. As it is slightly wide, objects nearer the lens will appear slightly larger than with a normal lens. Depth in the image is slightly exaggerated.

With this shot to expose the scene OK (I say OK because of the high dynamic range) I shot at f3.2 and 1/100th second, ISO200. If I wanted to get the hands and arms in focus, the background would also be more in focus. To do that I'd need to shoot at around f16 here, as the subject's hand is close to the lens. f16 would require an exposure of 1/100th and ISO6400, or 1/50th and ISO3200. 1/50th is the lowest I'd go with a static subject hand held at 35mm on full frame. I could push to 1/30th with good technique, but the subject may move a little during the exposure. So it's a case of swings and roundabouts. I'm not concerned with slightly out of focus immediate foregrounds as I prefer more depth and pop in my shots.

Having said all that, this was my first shot in the souk and just a grab so I'm not really bothered!
    Thanks Phil. Learning a lot from you.

Real Name
    Mark

well! i wondered what i would see here,lol, a little bit darker than your usual shots phill but still very atmospheric in portraying the overall feel of the market, good job.
    im surprised at the willingness of the locals to be photographed, is that usual in dubai?

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    I was trying to be drole
    We need a "drole" emoticon.

I don't see any disproportion in the man's arms or hands. If there is some, it would also be in the melons, which could be an advantage.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by darknight View Post
    well! i wondered what i would see here,lol, a little bit darker than your usual shots phill but still very atmospheric in portraying the overall feel of the market, good job.
    im surprised at the willingness of the locals to be photographed, is that usual in dubai?
    Thanks Mark. It's very shaded in the market compared to where I usually shoot. The Pakistani and Indian workers are very open to having their pictures taken - I'd say I get an 80% "yes" when I ask. I'll be going down there on Saturday with some prints, and then I'll be able to get a lot more environmental portraits.