Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 50D Live view

50D Live view

Am I missing something about having live view? Is there any benefits to using it?
    Seems kind of gimicky too me...

I have discovered a dead pixel on my display and what seems to be a dead sensor pixel , it appears to be a red dot that only shows up durin long exposures and not during any day shots...should i be concerned? Ideas? Sugesstions?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: 50D Live view

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    Am I missing something about having live view? Is there any benefits to using it?
    Seems kind of gimicky too me...
    Live view is VERY handy for landscape - helps signigicantly with filter placement - composition (expecially when the camera is 1 foot off the ground, on big rocks) - and in low-light situations. I use mine all the time.
    I have discovered a dead pixel on my display and what seems to be a dead sensor pixel , it appears to be a red dot that only shows up durin long exposures and not during any day shots...should i be concerned? Ideas? Sugesstions?
    It's pretty normal (mine has several) - usually ACR removes them automatically, same for long-exposure noise reduction.

good about the pixel thing...I feel better now...Thanks...

Its weird..my rebel XTI had absolutly no problems at all out of the box...
    and the 50D so far, well this is my second one....lol

Been playing around with live view since i posted my questions...

And I came up with about the same theory that it saves neck strain....

another thing its good at demostrating , is camera movement while making adjustments on the camera..boy does it jiggle.....

OH PS....

Does anyone here have expierence using the micro adjustment options?

Hello Kevin,

About that red pixel. It will be just a hot pixel, these are very common with long exposures and most (if not all) digital camera's will experence this. If you are taking repeated shots one after the other its best to try to give the camera a break in between if you can.
    One other thing is to let the camera adjust to the shooting temperatures before you start, this will help to reduce these hot pixels.

well my camera well definity adjusted to the temp,,,I had been ouside shooting on and off with it for a few hours before it got dark enough to do night tiem pics...

it was probably in the 70s at night where i was shooting...and probably only doing one shot of 20-30 sec...every few minutes or so....Do you think thats enough temp to overheat the pixel? weird...but next time iam out doing this ill pay attentioon too it and see if it makes a difference...

Kevin

Try this I do not know why this works but it does

first tack a shot with your lens cap on and the view finder closed in bulb mode exposure time
    1 to 2 minutes check for hot pixels next take a shot of a white card well illuminated for 30 sec to vastly over expose the file then repeat the first exposure and check for hot pixels
    like magic they have all gone.
    check the before and after

50D Live view

Before

50D Live view

After

john

Quote Originally Posted by john w revie View Post
    Kevin

Try this I do not know why this works but it does

50D Live view

I love the composition here, it has great sense of 'otherness' a sort of contextual feel for the true aesthetic with its negative capability. In fact I would say it represents a true paradigm of contemporary society in the west. Have you tried it as a B&W conversion?

If you don't understand this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8FpnM0NlXk

Real Name

OH PS....

Does anyone here have expierence using the micro adjustment options?
    Yes. Just ignore it - not worth the trouble in my opinion. Sharpening is FAR more important.

Thanks guys..I will use the Ignore feature under CFII

Real Name

It's an interesting feature, but not so straight-forward to apply in practice (especially with zoom lenses, as what's "slightly better" at one focal length may well be "slightly worse" at another, and you end up going nuts.

Even with prime lenses it's still tricky ... virtually impossible to tell the difference between minor adjustments (about 5 steps was the smallest that I could differentiate between) ... and add to that the fact that you often get small variations in shot-to-shot AF performance anyway ... so to get something meaningful you'd really need some standardised tests and have to average the results ... and then work out which were lens variation -v- which were camera variation ...

... pass.

I found a Moire pattern and an online guide to micro adjustments...I think I am gonna try it,,,

I think I missing more spot on sharp images than I should be...

Real Name

I found a Moire pattern and an online guide to micro adjustments...I think I am gonna try it,,,

I think I missing more spot on sharp images than I should be...
    Bet you a chocolate fish that micro-adjustment won't make it any better

Real Name
    Jim

Kevin,
    I did what you are about to do.I even bought a LensAlign system.I ran all my lenses through the tests.Not one needed any adjustments that I could detect.
    I read posts on other forums about how MLA really made a big difference on some lenses.I have to believe they had to be way out of calibration to see such an improvement.
    If your are dead set on testing your lenses give the site Luminous landscape a look.He has about the best description on the procedure.
    Also, I have a very nice Lensalign Pro system I'll let go for a reasonable price

why are u guys such non believers,,,I want to believe..

Real Name
    Jim

Kevin,
    I'm not trying to discourage you,just giving my opinion.If ,when you test ,you decide to try a focus chart.Take your shots into PS and do a find edges.It helps show where the focus falls.Testing will help with peace of mind,but if you still have doubts after.I have a "Like New" LensAlign I would be happy to part with

I just looked at the pirces for LA at BHPHoto....omg...cant believe hoe exspensive they are...

Real Name
    Jim

Expensive is right! It does do a nice job.The focus ruler works as a nice straight edge too

Real Name

why are u guys such non believers,,,I want to believe..
    Been there - done that - bought the tee shirt

good about the pixel thing...I feel better now...Thanks...

Its weird..my rebel XTI had absolutly no problems at all out of the box...
    and the 50D so far, well this is my second one....lol
    Kevin--I have the exact opposite experience. Bought the xti about 2.5 yr ago, sent it in 3 different times, still didn't work consistently, finally they sent a refurbished one. I've had the 50D for 6 mo or so and no problems. I haven't tried live view, basically because I haven't taken the time to figure it out though.

Kim