Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I See You

I See You

Well trying to sneak up on a bird perched in a tree with no leaves is a little difficult. Actually I was in my car and spotted him off on a side road and turned in slow and let the car just creep up closer shooting all the while and came away with these two being the better of them. Then he could not stand it any longer and took to flight. He looked like he had been in the water after prey and was drying off before I interupted him. I realize these are not the best composition wise (lots of distractions) but was all I was allowed by my feathered friend. I kind of liked this type of photography and would have liked it more if my subject would have just sat still a little longer. The sun was also very bright. Just maybe he will give me another chance another day. C & C on the PP will be a great help. Thank You.

I See You

Departure

I See You

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: I See You

PP looks ok. The first one is a fine shot.

That looks like an osprey. So if you have seen him there once you will probably see him there again about the same time. If there is water in the vicinity that will be where he will usually be fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    PP looks ok. The first one is a fine shot.

That looks like an osprey. So if you have seen him there once you will probably see him there again about the same time. If there is water in the vicinity that will be where he will usually be fishing.
    Thank you Bobo,

I was not sure what he was other than a large bird. Just about 50 yards behind the tree is a hugh marsh so maybe he will give me a second shot at it some day. I will keep an eye out. I can see now I'll have to learn more about birds if I keep this up. Any good sites to determine the names of the different birds?

Real Name
    Bobo

whatbird.com

Real Name
    Terri

I love that first shot. The only thing I might have done differently is to do more of a square crop to cut out that limb in the top left. But I love the detail in the bird, his bright eye and the profile of that sharp beak. Great capture!

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I love that first shot. The only thing I might have done differently is to do more of a square crop to cut out that limb in the top left. But I love the detail in the bird, his bright eye and the profile of that sharp beak. Great capture!
    Thank You Terri,

Here is the crop.

I See You

Real Name
    james

The crop works great for me. I am going to have to remember "the ol car creep trick" or i should call it carls' ol car creep trick.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I don't know. I think I like the first uncropped version. Somehow "the rest of the bird" and the dead branches add to the photo for me. So much more interesting and better balanced. The blurry edges on the closer of the branches stand-out more in the second one. And, what is that weird edge blur on those branches? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    The blurry edges on the closer of the branches stand-out more in the second one. And, what is that weird edge blur on those branches? I don't think I've ever seen it before.
    Thanks Gretchen,

I went back to the originals and it's there also, all of them in that set.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Carl, wow, I thought it was some PP effect and I wanted to know how you did it. I really like the distorted texture on the closer branches in contrast with the further branches.

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Carl, wow, I thought it was some PP effect and I wanted to know how you did it. I really like the distorted texture on the closer branches in contrast with the further branches.
    I have given this some thought: 1) I focused on the birds eye 2) the car was still moving forward as I snapped the shots. Now I will have to try and duplicate it to see which one did it or if a combination of the two. It could have been because I focused on the birds eye but just not sure. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.
    I sometimes do things and don't have a clue as to why it turned out the way it did. This is one of those times....lol

300mm f/8.0 ISO 800 1/1,600

Real Name
    Gretchen

Ah! Moving Vehicle --yes I think that would do it. Not sure you are going to be able to duplicate it. Very cool effect tho, at least in these shots.