Thread: Street at the Market

Real Name
    Phil Page

Street at the Market

Here are a few from this morning's walkabout in the Fruit and Vegetable Market. I used an 85mm lens, which is generally enough to be discreet - no such luck this morning though - I'll have to get back in their faces with a 35mm tomorrow!

Street at the Market

Street at the Market

Street at the Market

Street at the Market

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Street at the Market

I love your views into Dubai. I have had friends that travelled and lived in different parts of the ME, seems everyone goes thru Dubai at some point or another. They tell me it is very western and everyone fits-in regardless of culture or orthodoxy. the big thing seems to be that one can actually have a drink of alcohol in Dubai!

I love seeing the various ways people dress and carry themselves in your photos!

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    I love your views into Dubai. I have had friends that travelled and lived in different parts of the ME, seems everyone goes thru Dubai at some point or another. They tell me it is very western and everyone fits-in regardless of culture or orthodoxy. the big thing seems to be that one can actually have a drink of alcohol in Dubai!

I love seeing the various ways people dress and carry themselves in your photos!
    It's very westernised for good reason, Gretchen. Dubai relies on trade and tourism, compared to the oil reserves of Abu Dhabi. It is more relaxed, but over recent years there has been a tightening of the laws as Dubai has been bailed out by Abu Dhabi and Saudi. It's noticeable particularly during Ramadan. You used to be able to find somewhere in malls to have a drink or bite to eat for lunch (behind curtains and closed doors) but this is impossible nowadays. In hotels you can still get food and non alcoholic drink by day in the holy month. As Ramadan moves in the calendar by around 11 days per year, Ramadan is getting hotter and the days are getting longer.

Ever wondered why there aren't many Muslims in northern Europe? Imagine having to fast all day when the sun sets and night falls for around 1 hour in summer!!!

Real Name
    Gretchen

Oh wow, I forgot about the financial troubles --heard some stories about that too! A good friend took a contract in Saudi for a couple of years --got to hear lots of fun stuff. In my part of the world, there are a lot of people from the ME. I know this is going to surprise you, I talk a lot. As a result, I learn a lot.

I notice your pictures are all of men. Is it difficult to take pictures of women?

Thanks again for posting your pictures. I do enjoy them!

Real Name
    Phil Page

Approaching Middle Eastern women for photographs is not really allowed, unless you have permission from the male family member they are with. Occasionally I'll be brave enough for a candid, but never obviously taking their picture or portrait. Less traditional families are more approachable but you can't tell from the look of them whether they're more approachable or not!

The workers are all male, and there have only been a couple of women shopping in the markets on their own. I might be brave this lunchtime