Thread: Image File suffixes

Image File suffixes

Hello folks. I've visited this forum many times looking for info, very good site.

I know this might seem a strange first post but this has had me puzzled for a few days now.

Either I'm going nuts or all my images thumbnails whether jpg, raw, tiff or whatever have suddenly sprouted the file type suffix at the end of the file name.

Yes, I know what the suffixes are and what they denote but I'll swear I've never seen them before after the filenames on every image, usually they'll be seen if looking at the file info or are visible from within some image editor but normally only the file name is seen.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Re: Image File suffixes

I'm guessing you are referring to seeing the suffix when viewing a folder in Windows explorer. If that's the case then I a matter of what option you have selected under View on the toolbar. If you select List details ( I think that's the wording) then you will see the file extensions. Welcome to the forum.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Helen is quite right - under Windows7 at least, when you open Explorer click on the <Tools> menu item and select <Folder Options...>. This will bring up a pop up with three tabs. Click on the <View> tab and you will see a long list of check boxes' the eighth one down reads "Hide extensions for known file types". Check that and click the <Okay> but and you will be back to the way you were.

XP and Vista are quite similar, but I'm not sure if they are identical.

I personally always leave the extensions visible, but that is because it makes more sense for me to do so.

Yeah you're right I am refering to explorer and I was guessing it was something like that, but I can't see where the option is to show or hide this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Helen is quite right - under Windows7 at least, when you open Explorer click on the <Tools> menu item and select <Folder Options...>. This will bring up a pop up with three tabs. Click on the <View> tab and you will see a long list of check boxes' the eighth one down reads "Hide extensions for known file types". Check that and click the <Okay> but and you will be back to the way you were.

XP and Vista are quite similar, but I'm not sure if they are identical.

I personally always leave the extensions visible, but that is because it makes more sense for me to do so.
    Thanks you beat me to it.

Just fixed it, did an OS re-install recently, must have happened then, I usually know what my image types are and when editing they're always visible anyway.

Took me three days to convince myself I wasn't seeing things. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Virginia

I agree with Grumpy. I work with all kinds of different image files (ARW - Sony's alpha RAW images, TIFF, JPG, PNG, GIF and a few others) so I always have the extensions showing. Part of the issue is that I do a lot of work and commenting on images, so I really want to be sure I'm working in my preferred application for each type of image when I start doing whatever it is. Knowing the file extension helps a LOT!

And, BTW, in the Tools/Folder Options/File Types tab, you can set up specific extensions for some apps that are different from the ones "normally" used. For example, for notes about images before I move the notes into metadata, I use a file extension of KDX (which to me means Kodak (meaning pictures) eXternal) and it's assigned to my favorite text editor so that whenever I say to open it, my systems knows to point my favorite text editor to it and open the file.

v