Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sunset in the port

  1. #1
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    517
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Sunset in the port

    Been in Brittany for a few days ... D7000 16-85, F11 Comments welcome.

    Sunset in the port

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,616
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Very nice indeed. And you have the moon in there as well.

    I was hoping to get both a sunset and a moon today but the sunset was miserable and the moon behind clouds. Grrrr.

  3. #3
    dje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    4,148
    Real Name
    Dave Ellis

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Very nice mood Jeff and you've handled the light well.

    Dave

  4. #4
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,347
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Sunset in the port

    I'll have to stop looking at CIC. I keep seeing places, scenes and lighting conditions that make me more than a little envious. The photographic opportunities at this location look overwhelming. A striking shot and it took me a long time to pinpoint what did not quite work for me. Finally I decided there were two minor changes that would improve it for me. First would be to crop the bottom of the photo about a third of the way to the left hand boat and jetty. The second is that the left hand side has very few warm colours to balance the right hand side. A horizontal graduated warming filter may be an answer but just lightning and emphasising any warm tones on the brightest side (port) of the front boat's hull making it look as if it is just catching some of the warm glow would probably make it all work wonderfully for me.

    I will follow with interest what others have to say. It is certainly a great scene and maybe I am just to picky.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 23rd September 2012 at 08:57 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    17,884

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Really beautiful image. Well done!

    Most people will probably disagree with me that you might want to consider toning down the lamplight source and the reflections of lamplight in the water (all on the right side of the image; the lamplights on the left side are fine). Their intensity takes away from the tranquility of the scene for me.

  6. #6
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    517
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Very nice indeed. And you have the moon in there as well.

    I was hoping to get both a sunset and a moon today but the sunset was miserable and the moon behind clouds. Grrrr.
    Thanks Bobo !

  7. #7
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    517
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Really beautiful image. Well done!

    Most people will probably disagree with me that you might want to consider toning down the lamplight source and the reflections of lamplight in the water (all on the right side of the image; the lamplights on the left side are fine). Their intensity takes away from the tranquility of the scene for me.
    Actually I think I agree with you - I'll experiment

    Many thanks for the feedback


    J

  8. #8
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    517
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Very nice mood Jeff and you've handled the light well.

    Dave
    Many thanks for the feedback - much appreciated

    J

  9. #9
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,701
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    ... you might want to consider toning down the lamplight source and the reflections of lamplight in the water
    Yep, that makes sense.

    Good bit of work, Jeff

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Letchworth Garden City, UK
    Posts
    38
    Real Name
    Ivor J Roberts

    Re: Sunset in the port

    1
    Last edited by IvorJRoberts; 23rd September 2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: wrong image

  11. #11
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,701
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Ivor

    I have moved your images into a new thread entitles Images from Ivor

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Letchworth Garden City, UK
    Posts
    38
    Real Name
    Ivor J Roberts

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Beautiful image, captured at a lovely part of the day. I see the possibilty of a second picture here, if you crop from the right hand side to almost the centre of the picture where there appears to be a post by the boat jutting out into the estuary.

  13. #13
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,347
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Sunset in the port

    No comment on my comment but just in case it was confusing I am illustrating what I proposed. The adjustment is a bit stronger than needed but I want to make sure it is apparent at the small size.

    Sunset in the port
    Original


    Sunset in the port
    Suggested adjustment.

    I felt if that introducing a bit of the warm tones from the right to the left side would help balance it - not that it needs much assistance. Actually it probably ends up looking as it would have looked with the lighting several minutes before the photo was taken except that the moon would have been less visible.

  14. #14
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    517
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    No comment on my comment but just in case it was confusing I am illustrating what I proposed. The adjustment is a bit stronger than needed but I want to make sure it is apparent at the small size.

    Sunset in the port
    Original


    Sunset in the port
    Suggested adjustment.

    I felt if that introducing a bit of the warm tones from the right to the left side would help balance it - not that it needs much assistance. Actually it probably ends up looking as it would have looked with the lighting several minutes before the photo was taken except that the moon would have less visible.
    Yes, that looks a bit better. Thanks for the feedback & taking the trouble to do the PP work.

    J

  15. #15
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,347
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Sunset in the port

    Thanks Jeff. I am always a bit hesitant to muck around with someone else's work but I liked it so much that I thought I should risk it. If I had not liked it I would not have bothered. Did I manage time travel?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •