Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: This old hut

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This old hut

When I sped along the highway past this old Quonset hut in eastern Iceland, I knew instantly that I should turn around and stop to photograph it. When I asked my wife later if she likes scenes like this, she said she would never stop as I did to photograph it. When I showed her the final image, she loved it and was glad that I did.

C&C encouraged, as always!

This old hut

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: This old hut

Nice shot. I like the soft shades and the lighted/shaded areas of the metallic wall. Certainly looks to have been well (ab)used over the years.

Thanks, Bobo! I'm having a difficult time imagining why so much of the metal had to be patched with wood, especially considering that the remaining metal is in reasonably good shape. And what made the metal buckle all over?

Real Name
    Miltos

Nice!
    I particularly like the chimney - or what ever it is on the top of the structure. It looks like half a green apple or something.

Real Name
    Bobo

This is a very very old hut and I suspect that the metal is tin. Sheet tin like aluminum foil is almost impossible to keep straight so over the years with the winds and what nots the metal will move around in the frame plus the bumping it probably got when items were moved around inside.

I will be in Asia from next week and will see about getting some shots of tin huts.

It's a chimney, Miltos. Perhaps it's attached to a cooking stove, a heater, or an item used as both.

Have a great trip to Asia, Bobo! Make sure you're careful with that sciatic nerve; only one lens at a time.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

Have a great trip to Asia, Bobo! Make sure you're careful with that sciatic nerve; only one lens at a time.
    Thanks. Hope to get lots of shots but may just have to revisit a place with another lens if that is what it takes.