Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: multiple light sources

Real Name
    Steve

multiple light sources

How do you get rid of a color cast from multiple light sources? I took a photo at night, with the moon---faint sunlight(very faint)---and 2 incandescent lights in the background.
    The incandescent lights are giving a yellow cast.

Here is the pic...............this is as far as i got last night and i quit working on it. Also, how should a night pic be exposed..........a little on the darker side as i have it, or brighter? I should have used some fill flash, but i don't have one yet and the camera flash doesn't work with this wide lens---leaves really bad shadows, so i shot with available light only.

This was shot with a sigma 10-20mm- f/3.5 lens at 17mm and f/16.

multiple light sources

Real Name
    Will

Re: multiple light sources

i too have always thought that night shots should be slightly underexposed to give the impression that it is actually at night. Could you try desaturating just the lights, then you only have to worry about the colour balance across the rest of the picture without accidentaly ending up with one light being flouresant pink or whatever

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wjh31 View Post
    i too have always thought that night shots should be slightly underexposed to give the impression that it is actually at night. Could you try desaturating just the lights, then you only have to worry about the colour balance across the rest of the picture without accidentaly ending up with one light being flouresant pink or whatever
    One of the problems i'm having, is when i mask the lights, i loose the starburst and only get the center of the light. Maybe there is a beter way to set up my mask?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'm lazy (and ignorant of masks), so I would just zoom in a wipe them over with a desat brush

A bit like this (2 mins)
    multiple light sources

I've missed a few bits (speculars and reflections, etc.) and now it is obvious the WB needs doing to get a cooler moon colour; NB do the WB first, as I have just tried now and my desat goes blue

I like this exposure btw, I'd say it is just right.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th September 2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: add picture and WB notes

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I'm lazy (and ignorant of masks), so I would just zoom in a wipe them over with a desat brush

A bit like this (2 mins)
    multiple light sources

I've missed a few bits (speculars and reflections, etc.) and now it is obvious the WB needs doing to get a cooler moon colour; NB do the WB first, as I have just tried now and my desat goes blue

I like this exposure btw, I'd say it is just right.
    I guess i'll have to play around a little more............i don't mind the yellow in the light, just the yellow on what the light is shining on. Thanks for the info though. Always learning something new.