Thread: Dark B&W Portrait

Real Name
    Joshua

Dark B&W Portrait

I wanted the image to have a very dark, moody feel to it. I hope you enjoy the result.

Dark B&W Portrait

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G
    ISO 200, f/1.8, 1/100

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Dark B&W Portrait

Don't know what software you use for post processing. But in terms of going for a the dark/moody look, I feel this is too 'nice'. The lighting is okay fro getting that, but that straight head-on pose with the person (is it a self-portrait?) not looking very mean or moody doesn't add to the atmosphere. Also (and this is where the question about software comes in) adding in some hard film grain could also contribute to creating that 'harder edge' to the image.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Boo - I can't view photobucket files

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Don't know what software you use for post processing. But in terms of going for a the dark/moody look, I feel this is too 'nice'. The lighting is okay fro getting that, but that straight head-on pose with the person (is it a self-portrait?) not looking very mean or moody doesn't add to the atmosphere. Also (and this is where the question about software comes in) adding in some hard film grain could also contribute to creating that 'harder edge' to the image.
    I suppose it depends on what you feel is dark and moody. Or what you find dark or moody at any given time, because it could cover several different looks.

I use Lightroom 4

Real Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcane View Post
    I wanted the image to have a very dark, moody feel to it.

Personally I thought you captured it just right - the eyes (or should I say "eye") and the position of the mouth give the person a rather "dark" look. A harder and grungy effect might have added, but as to mood, I think you nailed it.
    Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G
    ISO 200, f/1.8, 1/100

Real Name
    Allan Short

Joshua: I have to agree with Donald, it looks to clean to me. That is not to say that it is not a great image, is it, I love that deep rich black you have in the image, however there are a number of spot on the young man's face that are just to bright for my liking. The young man has a little stubble on his chin and lower jaw, darken that up to help bring up some shadow in that area. With an B&W image you only have black, white and the tones in between, you have great black and white but are missing those tones to fill in the between they help to get that moody and gritty look.
    I have tried to add some of what I said by adding a layer maske and doing some burning and a little dodging.
    If you do not like what I have done I will remove the adjusted image.

Cheers:

Allan

Dark B&W Portrait

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Joshua,

To be honest, I keep searching for a little bit of left side in the face.

Try another shot , same set up with the light not coming from straight left, but move the light a bit lower and shoot the light up the face of the sitter....does not have to be too low, a bit a low will give you the effect of dark and mean.

Also I agree that a bit light on the leftside will make the picture compelling.