Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Glacier National Park

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Glacier National Park

My apologies for joining then disappearing! Demands of work, etc. I just returned from a wonderful 7 day trip in and around Glacier National Park in Montana. I hope to post a few more over the next days and weeks. Your comments and critique are welcome, in particular on composition Best Regards, Kerry

This was at sunrise over Lake McDonald, West Glacier, MT. The rock beach was very colorful, thus my weighting the shot there...is there too much beach? I also used a graduated exposure filter in Lightroom on the upper section of the image as it was a bit blown out.
    Glacier National Park

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Glacier National Park

Hi Kerry! Beautiful image depth created by the rocks in the foreground. I'm looking forward to seeing your other images of Glacier. I haven't been there in years but I remember that it had a lot of beautiful scenery to offer.

For this image, the sheer size of the rock beach is dominating the scene and tends to grab attention away from the grandeur of the mountains. You might want to try cropping out about half of the rocks (more or less) and see if it doesn't put more emphasis on the lake and mountains without loosing the sense of depth?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

High Kerry, very nice shot. I'm with Frank on cropping out about half the rocks. It'll be a nice wide panorama then with more focus on the mountains and lake.

Dave

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Thanks Frank! That was more or less my thinking as well, but I fell in love with the texture of the rock beach. Here's a crop with less beach and more of the overall shot to the right.
    Thanks as well Dave, you are right, this makes for a nice panorama shot. Thanks to both of you for the feedback!

Glacier National Park

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Hello Kerry. This is very nice work! I love the tonal graduations in the sky. I as well am looking forward to seeing more of your images from GNP. I was there for one day in May as part of a long road trip but it rained most of that day so I got nothing good and am wondering what part of the park to go to on my next visit there.

By the way, is the Going To The Sun road still open all way through?

Real Name
    Philip

Kerry, I really like both the pebble beach and the mountains so, in this case, I would break the "rules" and keep both in the image, as in your first photo. If I were to crop it, it would be to make a new, square-format image of just the right hand side of the first image, again keeping pebbles in half the frame.

Just my thoughts and opinions, of course.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd suggest that part of the issue is not so much that there's a lot of beach (although there is), but the fact that shoreline falls right on halfway. I think that splits the image in half.

I have to confess to really liking the second version. Very dramatic.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I like what you have done with the second one Kerry.

As the pebble beach is important to you, you might want to add just a bit more, perhaps as much as half of the original beach. That would still avoid dividing the image in half as Donald has mentioned.

Very nice capture!

Real Name
    Lon Howard

I'm kind of with Philip, I think. Having seen the first image first, I'm missing the missing rocks in the second. I wouldn't crop off too many, maybe something like this. Keeping the first one intact is also ok. The rocks somehow lead me into the rest of the image.

Glacier National Park

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Hello Kerry. This is very nice work! I love the tonal graduations in the sky. I as well am looking forward to seeing more of your images from GNP. I was there for one day in May as part of a long road trip but it rained most of that day so I got nothing good and am wondering what part of the park to go to on my next visit there.

By the way, is the Going To The Sun road still open all way through?
    Lon, thanks for the feedback. When we were there in early September all roads were open, but the park is now closed as of September 15th which was surprising. We saw entire boat docks being moved to dry land for the winter! If you like, I can forward some great info to you in a PM. I contacted professional photographer David Marx of Rocky Mountain School of Photography for some Glacier "secrets". He graciously responded back with some great tips, including the suggestion to get up early for these sunrise Lake McDonald images!

Kerry, I really like both the pebble beach and the mountains so, in this case, I would break the "rules" and keep both in the image, as in your first photo. If I were to crop it, it would be to make a new, square-format image of just the right hand side of the first image, again keeping pebbles in half the frame.
    Philip, thanks for the feedback! I thought about that. Maybe more rock without bifurcation of the image in the middle would be effective? I like your idea of a square crop, I'll play with that, thanks !

I'd suggest that part of the issue is not so much that there's a lot of beach (although there is), but the fact that shoreline falls right on halfway. I think that splits the image in half.

I have to confess to really liking the second version. Very dramatic.
    Donald, thank you for your thoughts! I think you've nailed the thing nagging me about the first image. The line at the shore cuts the picture in half, making it seem a bit like two different images.

As the pebble beach is important to you, you might want to add just a bit more, perhaps as much as half of the original beach. That would still avoid dividing the image in half as Donald has mentioned.

Very nice capture!
    Frank, thanks for your thoughts again! I will tinker with the amount of beach in the shot, now that I know what to avoid !