Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tetons At Dusk

Real Name
    Chuck

Tetons At Dusk

We finally got a breeze that cleared some of the smoke out of the air, so I had to go out and take a few photos. All of these were taken after the sun had gone behind the mountains. It produced that warm, soft light of the evening. As you can see fall is arriving here in Wyoming. C&C appreciated. Click on them to get the big view.

Tetons At Dusk

Tetons At Dusk

Tetons At Dusk

Tetons At Dusk

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Tetons At Dusk

I'd say, Chuck, that you were too early with the first 2, with sun not far enough down and still blowing the area of the sky around it. But by the time fo the third one, you were starting to hit the mark so far as lighting is concerned. The only thing I'm not spo keem on with that one is that log coming in rigth at the bottom left. I wondering how it would be it you cropped just above it?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the last one best. I'm really, really jealous of where you live.

Have the elk begun migrating to the reserve yet? Looking forward to some atmospheric images of them!

Real Name
    Chuck

Donald, thank you for the comments. I have attached a version of the third image minus the log.

I agree that the light was just too much above the mountains. I would say even on the third shot. During clear weather this time of day would have offered some beautiful shots. But now the northwest part of the United States is covered with smoke. We have two major fires burning in the Jackson Hole area, and even when the winds come the smoke does not entirely go away. The result is a great deal of diffused light, especially when shooting into the sun as in the first three photos. The light source for the fourth photo was from my back.

I did try using a graduated filter to find some contrast in the sky but there was none to be found.

Mike, the fourth image is my favorite as well. As for the elk, I may be able to get some shots within Grand Teton National Park, but this time of year it is extremely difficult to get close enough to the elk for good photographs. The hunting season has started and the elk are very spooky. However, I am able to go into the park at night and listen to the elk bugle. The sound ranks right up there with wolves - it is primal. - Chuck

Tetons At Dusk

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Donald, thank you for the comments. I have attached a version of the third image minus the log.
    I think that makes a significant, positive difference.

Since you mentioned it a few days ago, I've been following the story of those fires. Sounds pretty bad.
    Last edited by Donald; 16th September 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Nice photos Chuck!! I really like how the clouds reflect in the water on the last photo and the colors are great. I do agree with Donald about the being to early on the first two -- it's hard to get the timing just right, I am still trying!! Wish I lived there I would be out exploring everyday with my camera -- you are very lucky!!

Kathy