Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cnet: Nikon unwraps its d600 budget full-frame camera

Real Name
    Gil

Cnet: Nikon unwraps its d600 budget full-frame camera

If you own a NIKON D7000, chances are you should sit tight. As CNET states, "The D600 is essentially the D7000 with a full-frame sensor and some more modern video capabilities."

I used video with the NIKON D90, once. I have never used video with the D7000.

The full CNET Review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-35446299.html

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Cnet: Nikon unwraps its d600 budget full-frame camera

That D600 looks like a very appetizing camera I think. Just what the non-professional user might be looking for and good be well suited for some of the existing FX lenses.
    I am being tempted here.

Real Name
    Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    That D600 looks like a very appetizing camera I think. Just what the non-professional user might be looking for and good be well suited for some of the existing FX lenses.
    I am being tempted here.
    DSLR industry is becoming big on HD Video. Is this what everyone wants? Unsure why several NIKON D600 rumors had it priced at $1500. Some rumors had stated there would be built-in camera shake. So much for rumors...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

What I find interesting is the messaging that Nikon is sending out to photographers and the competition:

1. The new standard for professional and advanced amateurs in full-frame. Crop frame is for casual shooters.

2. For those looking for a pro D300 or D700 replacement, forget about it. Is there a market for a pro-quality crop frame any more? There certainly does not appear to be much room in the lineup between the D600 and D800 for a D700 replacement.

Where things get interesting is in the middle ground, currently occupied by the D7000; high quality crop frame market. It and the D90 hit the market priced around $500 less than the D600. The D7000 is really the oldest camera in the lineup now, and with recent price cuts, there is room for a replacement between the two price points, but is the market large enough to support a crop-frame unit that is around $500 less than the full-frame?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I am majorly disappointed that Nikon discontinued the D700 and there is no replacement seemingly planned. I am quite content with 12MP. Actually more than content, I see no reason to go to a higher MP sensor and, right or wrong, even see it as a detrement for low light situations. As for HD video; I will never use it. If I upgrade or replace a wrecked camera it will be to the D4; which is quite the price jump

I too am immensely happy with my D700. I think it is one of those timelessly classic cameras that happen along all too rarely. No complaints from me over the huge 8.5 micron pixel pitch; and I recall that just before the D700 and its single digit precursor came out, talk in the photo magazines was all about the quality of the pixels over the quantity of a camera's megapixel count. That still seems to me to be the best determining factor for a camera; and with the general consensus that digital captures matched 35mm film at or about the 8 megapixel mark, the D700 is entirely adequate for my photographic needs!

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Budget " D600, will have a suggested retail price of about $2,100, and I expect it to street for under $2,000" Guess I'm just to cheap

Real Name
    Gil

It seems like ages ago that I used a NIKON F5 35mm film Pro SLR camera. I thought it would be the last camera I ever owned. Photography is simply my hobby. The D90 outperforms the F5 and the D7000 surpasses the D90. The D7000 may not be my last camera but I am not moving to the D600.

Not too long ago it was stated by Ken Rockwell: The D7000 is Nikon's most advanced camera at any price. The fact that it sells for under $1,000 in 2012 make it a no-brainer, which is why it's sold out. The D7000 is Nikon's best DSLR ever.

And I am quite pleased with the D7000.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The digital camera has now reached a state of maturity where we are not tempted by every successive new generation that is released. The D90, D7000, D700 and D3 variants were really the first generation of Nikon gear that had everything from an image quality standpoint at price points that were affordable to non-professional photographers. The resolution of these cameras was more than adequate for all but the largest prints something that was the domain of the hyper-high end medium format cameras. The same can obviously said about the equivalent Canon lines too.

If I owned a D3 or D700; I would not even think about moving up to one of the newer Nikon models that were introduced this year; but perhaps when the next refresh cycle hits in three or four years, perhaps these will be a compelling reason to upgrade, but on the other hand, perhaps not, I have been shooting with the same film SLR for over 30 years.

The choice for a D90 or D7000 owner is not as simple, as there have not been any serious rumours regarding a replacement for these cameras, As a D90 owner, I was not even tempted to step up to the D7000; simply not enough of an upgrade to bother with even though it is clearly a better camera.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Just check B@H there taking per orders, $2,099.95 body only, I'm out