Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dickie-Bird

Real Name
    Tommy

Dickie-Bird

Sadly my cat passed away last week. We've had him for 19 years, since he was a tiny kitten. Our home will just not be the same without him.

I thought I'd process a photo of him in his favourite place, by the wood burner in the lounge. I'd like to produce something that I can frame and give to my mum, who misses him dearly.

All C&C will be gratefully received. I'm not particularly great with white balance, so any comments on that would be great also.

Dickie-Bird

Thanks for viewing
    Last edited by RockNGoalStar; 13th September 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Dickie-Bird

Sorry to hear that Tommy. I had a similar looking cat that was with us for 17 years.
    He looked a very happy cat.
    Nice photo mate, your mum will appreciate it.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Mark

Sorry to hear about Tommy. I think the fire and candles detract from Tommy. Here is a quick edit I tried.

Dickie-Bird

Real Name
    Mark

its always hard when pets go, we lost a horse recently, so feel for you.
    imho, i would leave the pic as it was, just because as you said this was his favourite spot, with the crop, it just does not show that, and the candles and fire add to your memory

Real Name
    Terri

Tommy, I'm so sorry that you've lost your companion. I was sad at reading your words but when I scrolled down and saw him tears came to my eyes as he looks a lot like our cat we lost last year. These pets do grab our hearts!

As far as the photo, I would leave it just as it is. I think the stove and candles show him in his environment and it adds to the context of who he was - a part of your family and home. I'm not seeing any issues with white balance myself, but certainly more experienced voices will chime in.

It's a beautiful photo and remembrance!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think Mark has produced a superb image of him, but like others have commented I think you maybe meant that the importance of the picture came from the location and the background being visible.

We tell ourselves that we shouldn't be as affected about losing a pet as losing a close human being. Why not? My dear black lab, who died in February 2004, still looks out at me from the computer screen every day when I switch on the monitor.

Real Name
    Gretchen

For once, I like the less-cropped shot. Ok, perhaps you could crop a little closer --just enough to show the firelight and 1 candle. It does add to the "cat-ness" of the shot.

The only way I've found to get passed the loss of a pet --is to get another. I hate coming home to a house with no 4-footed furry friend. So, we have 3 dogs, & 1 cat. Husband and teenage son are furry, but not 4-footed.

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi all and thanks for your comments. I'm sorry to hear about all of your losses too, it really is sad when you lose a much loved pet like that.

I like the crop, to me I still know where he is, and it's pretty obvious too I guess. It's unlikely that i'd have taken him round to someone else's house for the photo shoot! I do also like the context of the fire setting as he was so happy curled up in frot of that. May I'll process another one and have a couple, one cropped and one like my original.

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Tommy,

It is with deep sorrow that I respond to your post. Coupled with happiness and joy that (Dickie-Bird?) your Family Member and you all had the chance to be together for the length of time that you had. Each Life better off because of that.

It never ceases to amaze me how close we become with the animals that help us roam the Planet. I know ours are like children. I think they see us as their own, and that is how it should be.

As for white balance, if you are not happy with it in this shot, you might try tapping the lightest part of her neck for a white, or you might try the carpet for a gray. Adjust to taste. I tried both and got nice results with some additional adjustment.

Or you could just leave as is. I like your existing crop. This shot gives a warm fuzzy.

My deepest regards to Mum and I know she will love anything you give her of her long-time friend and companion.

As long as we remember, Tommy, we will never forget.

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks Terry! Appreciate your kind words and suggestions :-)

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Tommy very sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest sympathies. You and your Mum can certainly take comfort in knowing that you gave Dickie-Bird the best possible life. He looks healthy, happy and quite regal, as only cats can, in your photo and that is the most important thing. Personally I would go for the uncropped version. This is a very personal photo with a very specific intent and the added context of the surroundings will add so much more.