Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Colorado Beauty from Garden of the Gods

Real Name
    Kathy

Colorado Beauty from Garden of the Gods

Just got back from a vacation to Colorado. Here are 3 photos from the "Garden of the Gods" in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I took the leap and started shooting in RAW, Still learning alot about my camera (Nikon D5000) I think I have improved but still have a long ways to go. Comments and advice are welcome. Thanks for looking!

Kathy

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Colorado Beauty from Garden of the Gods

Some pretty shots. (I have a picture of that same fence in #2 ) I especially like the light that you caught in the last one. Really nice.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Cathy: nice to see that you are back from Colorado, and posting. Nice images all three, I do think maybe a increase in the depth of field on the third one would have helped, good sky and mountains however the forground is a little soft and by the way nice litle rain bow behind that one hill.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

[QUOTE=Polar01;242762]Cathy: nice to see that you are back from Colorado, and posting. Nice images all three, I do think maybe a increase in the depth of field on the third one would have helped, good sky and mountains however the forground is a little soft and by the way nice litle rain bow behind that one hill.

Cheers:

Real Name
    Kathy

Allan,
    Thanks for taking time to look at my photos. To be honest the third photo was caught by chance . . . I was backing out of the parking lot and saw the mountains in my mirror, I jumped out of the car and ran to get the photo I knew the light wasn't going to last long so I just shot with the settings that were already on my camera -- didn't have alot of time to think about it and sure enough the light was gone just like that!!

Kathy

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kathy sometimes it is at those exact times that some of our best images are taken, in the not to distance future you will not think about it, you will just make those changes without even thinking about what you are doing, you just know.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

Allan,
    Wish I had your confidence, half of the time I am still guessing but at least I am trying. I really struggle with morning and evening light, or any type of dim light as to what settings to go with -- alot of times they turn out to dark, I think I am shooting at to fast of a shutter speed and not taking the time to use my tripod I am reading a book on digital photography, studying up on how to take sharp photos so maybe something will sink in! Thanks again for your help.

Kathy

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kathy you are doing better than me, I only know what I am doing about 1/4 of the time compared to your 1/2. Some things I know, I can hand hold down to 1/50 with out much problem, always look at histogram not the image on the display, use tripod, use tripod and finally use tripod, oh something else use cable release with tripod. I like the early morning light (hate getting up), good thing winter is coming as morning keeps getting later also like the late day light, so early to bed and early to rise makes a person healthy, wealthy and wise, NOT, but you can get a good image.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Chuck

Kathy, I enjoyed your photos. I grew up near the Garden of the Gods and have always enjoyed its beauty.

Your third photo is very nice, but as you mentioned, it is always difficult to get the light right during the best time of the day to shoot. You might be able to get some help by bracketing your shots. There are a number of ways to do that, and I am sure your books can help give some ideas for experimentation.

What were your settings for the third image. Just looking at the foreground I wonder if you had a fair amount of noise and lost some of the sharpness when you did noise reduction. Just a guess.

Thanks for sharing these images. They make me smile.

Cheers, Chuck

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Kathy, I enjoyed your photos. I grew up near the Garden of the Gods and have always enjoyed its beauty.

Your third photo is very nice, but as you mentioned, it is always difficult to get the light right during the best time of the day to shoot. You might be able to get some help by bracketing your shots. There are a number of ways to do that, and I am sure your books can help give some ideas for experimentation.

What were your settings for the third image. Just looking at the foreground I wonder if you had a fair amount of noise and lost some of the sharpness when you did noise reduction. Just a guess.

Thanks for sharing these images. They make me smile.

Cheers, Chuck
    Chuck,
    Thank you for your nice comments, by "bracketing" is that when you set your camera to take 3 shots at 3 different exposures?? I love the mountains and am planning on a trip to the tetons and yellowstone next summer -- I have got a lot of practicing to do before then!! Thanks again for looking and sharing your thoughts, it really is how I learn.

Kathy