Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pronghorn

Real Name
    Chuck

Pronghorn

Found these Pronghorn in Grand Teton National Park this afternoon. Nice to find a family.

The buck shows the classic prong on its horns. The female has short horns that are difficult to see in these photos. The fawn, which is nearly as tall as its mother, has the beginning of horns. Notice that the buck and the fawn both have a black patch at the back of the jaw. That is an indicator that they are males.

Adult pronghorn are only about four and a half feet long and a little over three feet high at the shoulders. But they are very fast.
    Buck
    Pronghorn
    Mother and Son
    Pronghorn
    Fawn
    Pronghorn

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Pronghorn

These are great Chuck! And thanks for the notes on how to ID the Pronghorns. I went back to some of the images I took at Cabela's last month and your notes really helped my to understand what I was seeing. Nice set you have here!

Real Name
    Terri

How fun to capture the whole family. Anytime I've been around pronghorns, they're nowhere near close enough to photograph. I really like the third shot. The lighting and his position and everything is great. Thanks for sharing them!

Real Name
    Chuck

Frank and Terri, glad you enjoyed the photos. Unfortunately the lighting was marginal, but I enjoyed just being close enough to take the photos.

Cheers, Chuck