Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Couple Birds In Flight

Real Name
    Joe

A Couple Birds In Flight

I shot these today while taking my walk in a nature refuge. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Great Blue Heron

A Couple  Birds In Flight

Tri-colored Heron

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: A Couple Birds In Flight

Very nice. Appear a bit dark here but in lightbox they look just fine. Great catch.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful.. I especially love the 2nd shot.

Real Name
    Terri

That second one is so sharp. It looks like he posed for you. Their eyes always look so strange to me but it's a beautiful bird. Great shots!

Real Name
    Dave

Yes, great shots. Especially the second one - almost all bird in flight shots I have are from underneath - this looks like you are flying alongside. Good grab and good technique.

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

Excellent shots.

Real Name
    Debbie

Lovely. In the first shot, I like the line (or curve) that looking into the end of the feathers makes. Not sure if that makes any sense.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

These are interesting shots that bring up a point that I have wondered about for some time. Why do we sometimes see Herons (and other birds) flying with the neck fully extended and at other times, flying with the head pulled back as far as they can make it go?

Real Name
    Dave

Why do we sometimes see Herons (and other birds) flying with the neck fully extended and at other times, flying with the head pulled back as far as they can make it go?
    It depends on the family. Herons (and egrets) all fly with their necks drawn back like this one, but all storks, cranes and flamingos with their necks fully extended. As to why - I guess you'd have to find a talking heron unless we have a proper ornithologist around.

Real Name
    Mark

Thats right david, as to why, its all about how they feed and what they feed on, that requires them to fly like that, think of what and how each one eats and it becomes clear.
    As the for the photos, very nice, i take it they were landing for you to get such a great angle?

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, Mark. One of those things that's obvious - once someone points it out! Though neither of us have explained why the Great Blue Heron has it's neck straight out. I suspect that it has just taken off - unless it has an identity crisis.

It's interesting but unsurprising that birds that have converged on similar feeding patterns (for example cattle egrets and crowned cranes) maintain their ancestral ways. Not sure whether this is off topic, but for me knowing more about animal behaviour increases the enjoyment of watching them, and I think makes for better photographs, too.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by darknight View Post
    Thats right david, as to why, its all about how they feed and what they feed on, that requires them to fly like that, think of what and how each one eats and it becomes clear.
    As the for the photos, very nice, i take it they were landing for you to get such a great angle?
    That might be a clue. In order to fly with the least effort, the center of balance must be positioned in relation to the wing chord's center of lift. Could it be that the first Heron was flying on an empty stomach? I guess it may also depend on how far back in the body the stomach is?

Real Name
    Dave

Could it be that the first Heron was flying on an empty stomach?
    Crop, Frank, Crop! That's the bit where a bird stores its food, not a PP instruction

It's possible, but I don't think so. So far as I can recall, I've never seen a heron in level flight with its neck stretched out, but then there are lots of things I haven't seen. Perhaps Joe can tell us if it was taking off, landing, or in between?

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Very nice. Appear a bit dark here but in lightbox they look just fine. Great catch.
    Thanks Bobo, very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Beautiful.. I especially love the 2nd shot.
    Thanks Christina, much appreciated. Welcome back from Canada.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    That second one is so sharp. It looks like he posed for you. Their eyes always look so strange to me but it's a beautiful bird. Great shots!
    Thank you Terri, the second one was quite close when I captured a couple frames, that sure helps to have nice detail and color.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Yes, great shots. Especially the second one - almost all bird in flight shots I have are from underneath - this looks like you are flying alongside. Good grab and good technique.
    Thank you Dave, very much appreciated. You are so correct in mentioning a grab shot, the second bird appeared suddenly and low flying. I had been shooting birds in flight so the camera was set correctly. I found the bird in the viewfinder and was able to get off a couple frames before the bird disappeared into the marsh.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Excellent shots.
    Thank you Victor, very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    Lovely. In the first shot, I like the line (or curve) that looking into the end of the feathers makes. Not sure if that makes any sense.
    Thank you Debbie, what you wrote makes perfect sense to me. About ninety five percent of my photography is birds, I find beauty and grace in their shapes and movements.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    These are interesting shots that bring up a point that I have wondered about for some time. Why do we sometimes see Herons (and other birds) flying with the neck fully extended and at other times, flying with the head pulled back as far as they can make it go?
    Hi Frank, thank you for taking time to view and comment on my images. I answer to your question regarding the neck position of birds when they fly, David is correct in a following post that Herons and Egrets normally fly with their necks pulled in forming a S-curve tight to the body. Storks and Cranes fly with their necks extended. Now to explain why this Heron has it's neck extended. I was photographing it perched at the top of a tree (see the image posted below). It lepted into the air and glided without the wings flapping to another spot in the marsh. I was able to switch to shutter priority and get a couple images of it gliding in flight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast