Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tutorials what a great resource - and any second hand cameras out there?

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Tutorials what a great resource - and any second hand cameras out there?

Hi all,
    Even though I've been on the site for a while now, my requirements have recently changed. I am an avid reader and pretty much all the information within the tutorials I am aware of and use the information on a image to image basis.
    However, I've been asked to develop a teaching program (photography as one field of several) for under-privileged/disadvantaged people in Central America (a second skill to aid in supplemental income), and that's a far cry from knowing the information.
    First place I thought to come was the tutorial section on this site. I've seen so many other people praise the way it has been presented and the depth of coverage.
    A quick look confirms their experiences.
    Many thanks to those who have developed these tutorials, they will be invaluable to me and links will be shared so people can access them directly.
    The charitable organisation is still to be set up (hopefully by end of the year). There may also be an opportunity for me to visit Central America to do the actual information exchange (instruct, but I love the other phrasing, so just had to use it).

WHEN it gets up and running, I will be seeking second hand cameras/equipment. Any ideas on the best way to organise that side of things (along with computers, software, books, magazines and so forth)? I'm in touch with my old camera club to see if they can help and they've already promised a 100lbs+ stack of books.

I'm wanting to get myself organised so when things are allowed to kick off, then I am in a position to go along with it as well.

I've never been closely involved with charities beyond volunteering my time (done lots of photography for them but my input ended when I passed over the pics).

Thanks all in advance.

Graham

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Tutorials what a great resource - and any second hand cameras out there?

I don't know the Canadian Tax laws but, in the USA, a Charity can obtain what is called a 501c3 designation from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. One great thing about the 501c3 status is that individuals and businesses can deduct donations (in cash and in kind) to the 501c3 program. Our American Maltese Rescue Program was certified as 501c3 and our donations have increased greatly.

The umbrella organzation you will be working with may already have such a U.S or Canadian designaton.

Along that line, I am sure that there are people who have the early model DSLR cameras for which they can get very little money for if they could sell them and might feel better donating them to a worthy cause.

I am talking about cameras like the Canon 300D and 350D as well as the D60 and 10D (and Nikon and third party equivalents). There are a lot of lenses out there which are in the same position, still adequate but hardly worth anything if they could be sold at all. The Canon lenses which immediately come to mind are the various 28-105mm EF lenses as well as the 18-55mm non IS kit lenses.

There are, I am sure, a plethora of memory cards out there which are quite viable and useful for the older DSLR cameras which don't have large image size requirements. Cards such as 64mb through 256mb can hardly be used on todays cameras and I am sure there are loads of them floating around in the bottom of someone's gaget bags...

I wouldn't touch film cameras despite their totally low cost. Film, processing and printing can eat up a budget quite quickly.

I also pretty sure that there are some older Photoshop Elements and Photoshop programs living in some older computers which, along with the early DSLR cameras are hardly worth anything. Shipping computers and monitors might be quite expensive though!

I am pretty sure that even if donors cannon deduct the donations from their taxes, you might find a lot of photographers willing to donate their old and unused equipment to a worthy cause...

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Hi all,
    However, I've been asked to develop a teaching program (photography as one field of several) for under-privileged/disadvantaged people in Central America (a second skill to aid in supplemental income), and that's a far cry from knowing the information.
    Graham
    What would be the media available at the "information exchange location" er - school?

Are you looking for just DSLR cameras?

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Hi Ted,
    Basically looking at working with digital cameras initially of any style (compact to DSLR). I would hope to be working with 6MP and up if possible.
    I have been told that an electricity supply is available without too many black/brown outs, so I would expect to have access to a digital projector for the school as well as print. Ideally I would also be able to get hold of some second hand computers for basic software (going to have to investigate freeware software such as GIMP, although I use PSE 10/LR2 myself).
    Graham