Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The birds abadoned me...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,621
    Real Name
    Bobo

    The birds abandoned me...

    Went to a new location to get other birds ....... and found nothing.

    To add injury to insult right leg slipped into knee deep mud. Luckily when I fell the butt landed on soft/wet ground. Legs were like a "7" shape and had a hard time extricating myself. Camera was fine except for a bit of mud on the hood.

    All for what? A better angle to #5. So after checking for damage, did take the shot while still in the mud.

    On the way back to the car did manage some shots of the surroundings. We are tenacious if nothing else!

    Just wanted to recount the unpleasant experience and share the aftermath.

    1.
    The birds abadoned me...

    2.
    The birds abadoned me...

    3.
    The birds abadoned me...

    4.
    The birds abadoned me...

    5.
    The birds abadoned me...
    Last edited by Bobobird; 10th September 2012 at 09:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,454
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Hi Bobo! Sorry for your incident. Nice photos. I loved the atmosphere of number 4. It seems to invite the observer to have a seat and grab a 500 pages book! Thanks for sharing...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,621
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Thanks Otavio. Nothing broken so am grateful for that.

    Regarding #4, there will be competition between the book or looking out at #3. At times some pretty large fish jumping but could not get a shot. Both are 3 shots HDRs btw.

    Should have gone back to the car for the wide angle to get both into the one shot.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,714
    Real Name
    Sergio

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Bobo, #5 makes me want to pick one of those red ones and eat it. Probably wouldn't want to do that though, huh?

    Nice Set.

    Serge

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,621
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Thanks Serge. In the wild the prettier the thing the more dangerous it is likely to be. Those berries are probably harmless as I have seen ducks eating them but caution...

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provence, France
    Posts
    910
    Real Name
    Remco

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Well, better get an expert's opinion on those berries then, they look to me like one of the more toxic Solanaceae ...
    (more specifically, Solanum dulcamara or Bittersweet) They do look tasty presented like this
    Last edited by revi; 11th September 2012 at 06:05 AM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,621
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Thanks Remco for taking the time to warn us about this.

    Actually I was checking the same thing after posting reply to Serge. Yes it is indeed poisonous to humans. That it is not poisonous to birds can sometimes lead to some confusion as people sometimes assume that if a bird can eat something then it is not a problem for humans. Not so in this case! I made the exact same mistake in the reply to Serge....

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,714
    Real Name
    Sergio

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Quote Originally Posted by revi
    Well, better get an expert's opinion on those berries then, they look to me like one of the more toxic Solanaceae ...
    (more specifically, Solanum dulcamara or Bittersweet) They do look tasty presented like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Remco for taking the time to warn us about this.

    Actually I was checking the same thing after posting reply to Serge. Yes it is indeed poisonous to humans. That it is not poisonous to birds can sometimes lead to some confusion as people sometimes assume that if a bird can eat something then it is not a problem for humans. Not so in this case! I made the exact same mistake in the reply to Serge....
    Thanks for looking out for me Bobo and revi. It's a good thing I coudn't just reach into my monitor and pluck that juicy red one. I think my lust for that red berry would have overwhelmed me.

    Serge

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,713

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Those tranquil scenes with reflection look good to me, particularly the first image.

  10. #10
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,577
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Went to a new location to get other birds ....... and found nothing.

    To add injury to insult right leg slipped into knee deep mud. Luckily when I fell the butt landed on soft/wet ground. Legs were like a "7" shape and had a hard time extricating myself. Camera was fine except for a bit of mud on the hood.

    All for what? A better angle to #5. So after checking for damage, did take the shot while still in the mud.

    On the way back to the car did manage some shots of the surroundings. We are tenacious if nothing else!

    Just wanted to recount the unpleasant experience and share the aftermath.

    1.
    The birds abadoned me...

    2.
    The birds abadoned me...

    3.
    The birds abadoned me...

    4.
    The birds abadoned me...

    5.
    The birds abadoned me...

    Ohhh mate..

    I love the boat shots . xx

  11. #11
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,982
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Went to a new location to get other birds ....... and found nothing.

    To add injury to insult right leg slipped into knee deep mud.
    There are times when you just have to ask yourself:
    a) is it worth it and/or
    b) am I mad?

    But, then again, it's all worth it if you can get the sort of images that we see above.

  12. #12
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Be careful my friend. Although no birds you did capture some wonderful images. Nice work Bobo. Thinking of you searching for birds and finding none, you would be in heaven in Florida.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,621
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: The birds abandoned me...

    Thanks Sharon.

    Thanks Donald - yes we are nuts. Glad no one saw this crazy guy taking shots even with one of his legs caked in mud.

    Thanks Joe - there were birds but just too small or too far for my lens. Florida? Me? They would probably put me in place for crazy people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •