Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lady Victoria and friends await the tide coming in at Elie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Lady Victoria and friends await the tide coming in at Elie

The title suggested itself as soon as I saw this scene. So, given that I had a title, all I then needed was an image to go with it.

I don't think this is a show-stopper in its own right, but it is, I feel, a reasonable portfolio image.

I liked the ropes/chains stretching across the beach and onto the boats. I also liked the sky and wanted to bring out the quite subtle textures that lay amongst the banks of cloud.

And, as with other recent posts of boats and yachts in the harbour at Anstruther, it was that link between the sea, represented by the boats high and dry on land, and the houses of the community in which they are berthed that I wanted to show in the image.

As always, your thoughts on whether any of this comes through in the final image, are welcomed.

Lady Victoria and friends await the tide coming in at Elie
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 34mm. ISO100. 1/30s @f16

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Lady Victoria and friends await the tide coming in at Elie

Brings to mind three creatures of the sea, faces to the water, even the the bow lines trying to pull them off an alien shore. Not a show-stopper, but it works very nicely

Real Name
    Bobo

Keeping the further off mast did'nt work? Just makes me think something is missing.

Usual nice well thought out shot by our b/w master.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I like this image Donald. To me, it has a certain "old world" feel about it and it so typifies the seaside in Britain (at least in my mind). It is an image "made" for B&W.

Dave

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Nice shot with lots of interest Mr. D. At the risk of sounding disgusting and evincing a 'stern' reply, perhaps I would have liked to have seen more of Lady Victoria's bottom. Do you think the top of the mast on the middle vessel should have made it into frame? But this is just nit picking at a great shot, probably out of the sub conscious jealously that I couldn't do anywhere half as good!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I think you accomplished everything reasonably well that you had in mind. It's just a stylistic preference but I would like it better if the buildings were not quite so sharp.

I wonder if you could find a rope line with a lot of interesting seaweed to include as dramatic foreground interest. My guess is that that probably was not possible at this location.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks, folks.

I think the title was probably more inspired than the image. It's not bad, but it's not in line for any major awards.

Your collective comments always help inform thinking about the next one, which will, of course, be the greatest image ever made! The next one always is.

Real Name
    Sharon

Elie...the beautiful anomaly of the East Neuk.

I love this picture, the place is in my bones..my father was born and raised in Elie, my grandfather and great-grandfather lie in the churchyard....but

...it really is and has been for some years a rich man's paradise, Edinburgh by the sea and what that means to the link between the land/people and the sea in this instance Donald...I don't know!

Gin quaffing yachters at the Ship Inn....the workin Elie..long gone.