Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shooting for HDR - auto timer

Shooting for HDR - auto timer

I'm not sure this works on all cameras, but it works on my 50D and 5D.

When you shoot your 3/5 or whatever shots for HDR, and after you have set the bracketing stops and are ready to fire, set auto-timer. All 3 shots will be fired in rapid succession hardly allowing any time for things to move - unless it's very windy. You also avoid camera shake. In good light conditions they should complete in well under a second. I'm not sure but I think the mirror stays locked up also, which helps reduce vibration further. Not sure about that though.

Any one else do this? Any other method?
    Last edited by McQ; 13th November 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Shooting for HDR - auto timer

I usually just hold down the button on the remote release, but the camera needs to have the drive mode set to multi for this to work (otherwise you have to press it once for each exposure). Not sure if the drive mode is important when shooting with the timer or not.
    Last edited by McQ; 13th November 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ...Not sure if the drive mode is important when shooting with the timer or not.
    No, you just need to set the timer - at least on my Canons.

I see this is tread is a few months old but though I would reply. I have been shooting HDR stuff for a few years now and have recently came into a Canon 1D Mark III. Knowing that it shoots 10 fps I though I would try hand holding for some HDR sequences. I set the AEB to shoot 7 frames all at a 1 stop difference (I like having more information then not enough) and then set the Drive mode to High speed. I can hand hold a 7 frame HDR sequence with no problems of movement. This has allowed me to shoot things that I have not been able to before (No hassle of having to have a tripod every time you leave the house). Obviously this would have to be in a scene with adequate light otherwise the shutter speed could get too long for hand holding. Or you could just take fewer frames. this would help to an extent.

This is my first post.. Just though I would share.

Regards.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Nick,

Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us

I have fond memories of my 1D3 - hope you're enjoying yours! You made a good point about available light affecting shutterspeed - I think a lot of people have it in the back of their minds that it shoots 10 fps all the time, whereas in reality I think the book says something along the lines of "only when the shutterspeed is 1/1000th or above".

If you get a chance, pop a reply onto the welcome thread and tell us a little bit about you.