Quack

Quack

Quack

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Nothing dramatic - just ducks.
    Yep, but when it comes to photography there are 'just ducks' and then there are .......... just ducks.

I think the first one is okay. Nice image. But number 2 & 3, in my opinion, step up several gears photographically. I think the fact that the water is a much lighter tone and is picking up sky reflection rather than foliage reflection, plays a part in that. The second one has all the elements you'#d need for making a high key image and it's that simplicity (2 ducks, calm water, no other distractions) that make it so attractive.

I haven't a clue how you got the third one; i.e. the duck just at the front edge of all that disturbed water. But the reflection you have captured in the calm water and the sharpness of of the head are superb.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Donald. Appreciate your expert opinions as always.

#1 originally has a long wake behind the ducks but then the subjects were just too small, so chopped that off.

#2 and 3 - your assessment is spot on. Normally not easy to get them this way due to the surroundings. #1 is more like what is normal.

#3 - he was coming in to land and that was shot just as he settled into the water. I have been trying to get a shot of the long water-skier type glide that they do on landing but not one good one yet.

Real Name
    Miltos

Bobo the 3d one is really intriguing. The duck looks like a super jet, as if it is moving with ultra sonic speed.

As Donald mentioned the contrast of the calm water reflection with the backwash of the duck is really fantastic. You know photography books usually mention the power of contrast in photography, dark/light parts, overlapping complementary colors, sharp/soft (OoF) parts etc, but in your image I see something novel!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

#3 - he was coming in to land and that was shot just as he settled into the water. I have been trying to get a shot of the long water-skier type glide that they do on landing but not one good one yet.
    Nice one! That explains why he is so low in the water. Excellent timing and supurb detail!

Real Name
    Joe

Nice ducks Bobo, #3 is outstanding.

Real Name
    John

Hi Bobo,
    No. 3 is my favourite, great shot.
    Well done.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Miltos - with moving targets there is really very little that can be done the "right way". Size of lens is also a limitation and isolation can only be achieved with a closer subject.

Thanks Frank - lucky shot actually. Last in a tracking sequence and the only one that came out sharp enough. Was going to stop as soon as he hit the water but he was coming right at me. Could not let that pass now can we? One small niggle would be not being low enough.

Thanks Joe and John - yes my favourite too.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

#1: is really beautiful where as #3 is something rare ; second one is OK

Real Name
    Terri

I like #1 because it seems the lead duck has changed directions to look right at you. And as everyone said, #3 is outstanding!

Real Name
    Gretchen

They are all nice shots. #3 is just spectacular, IMHO. I love how the shot conveys movement, yet still captures his reflection so nicely. Just lovely!

Ducks always seem to have an expression that says they are wise to everything in the world, but just refuse to take it seriously! You've captured that in all of them1

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks Frank - lucky shot actually. Last in a tracking sequence and the only one that came out sharp enough. Was going to stop as soon as he hit the water but he was coming right at me. Could not let that pass now can we? One small niggle would be not being low enough.
    Being out there day after day with camera at the ready, studying their habits, getting to know what they are likely to do and when... Hours of observation and preparation put you in a position to be able to capture the image when, as luck would have it, the last little bit of opportunity presented itself. Yes, a bit of luck does help but for the most part, you have honestly earned the right to be lucky! My hat is off to you sir!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank. You are right about the observation thing, does help I guess.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm going to go against the grain of the thread by commenting that the second one is really superb for me. I like its simplicity.

You might want to caption the last one, "Turbo Duck."

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks and Turbo Duck it is.