Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Impala antelope

Real Name
    Clive

Impala antelope

A very bleak wet day and most of the animals were under the trees seeking cover from the weather. These three Impala males were braving the conditions and moving across a small valley. For a brief moment they stopped to look at us and the line they made down the hill caught my eye. C&C welcomed.

Impala antelope

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Impala antelope

Forgive me if this is wrong, Clive, but the image looks blended and photoshopped to me. The lighting on the impala does not seem to match the ambient conditions IMO, looking as if fill flash has been used (in which case the fill light would not be even for the 3 spaced impala)

Real Name
    Gretchen

I agree, the animals look flat and the composition looks contrived. The animals are too perfectly spaced and centered and they have no shadows.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I've logged back on because I think my last post was rather terse. I've looked and looked, but I can't figure out how you did the PP.

Real Name
    Phil Page

I was going to say - don't hold back, Gretchen!

Real Name
    Dave

The colours look a bit over-saturated to me, and the impala seem a warmer brown than the ones that I am familiar with, but other than that I doesn't seem over PP'd. Clive tells us that it was a wet day - so I guess we shouldn't expect any shadows.

Here's one of my pics for comparison:

Impala antelope

Clive - I don't think this was taken on your latest jaunt, though!

Real Name
    Mark

Well i must say at first glance it does look photo shoped, but i would say possibly that if using lightroom and photo shop to a degree it is possible to get that effect.
    By using the saturate and luminosity sliders you actually get this stand out effect, as well as clarity slider, i have a pic of when i was on dartmoor yesterday, and by darkening the sky on one shot it looked like the rocks were superimposed.
    I would be amazed if there was no pp on this, but maybe its just too much?

Real Name
    Clive

Hi All and many thanks for the feedback and comments. It was an overcast day so there was no shadows. The only PP done was selected adjustments in LR on the animals to try and get them to stand out more, and general saturation and clarity on the overall image. The way the animals lined up was how they were. I agree that the PP could be a bit too much, but once again many thanks for the honest feedback it is much appreciated.