Thread: Stairwell

Real Name
    Sergio

Stairwell

I'm new to photography (since April). This picture was taken at Mission Concepción in San Antonio, Texas. We were walking in the back entrance since the front was closed. I really liked the light and shadows and the texture of the walls. I tried to expose for the walls knowing the highlights would blow a bit but figured I'd be able to pull back in post processing. Not sure if I got it right though.

Your C&C is appreciated. I really want to get good at photography since it's been so much fun to learn.

Canon T2i in manual mode, 24mm, f8, 1/25s, iso 100, and used spot metering. Shot in raw and used Corel Aftershot Pro ( I compute in Linux) for raw processing. Just minor sharpening and vibrance added.

Thanks.

Serge

Stairwell

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: Stairwell

Hello Serge. Lovely image you have. I think it is too busy however. Consider cropping the wall on the left, the door on the right and the floor. Also it's a good candidate for B&W conversion.

Hope it helps!

Real Name
    Gretchen

I love this. I like the door and I like the wall. What I don't like is the floor mat and the bright light on it. I think the wall is necessary to show why you didn't shoot a larger portion of the downstairs. Otherwise it looks like you just cut-off the picture to create a long narrow passage. The door is interesting enough, IMHO, that it adds to the shot and provides balance. There is probably no way to totally get rid of the carpet because of the stones on the floor --unless you are really, really good and drawing the floor in (as far as I know, that is the only way to to do it) If you could reduce the light on the mat that would help a lot. Can you lighten then area in the room to the way back --that would also increase the "interesting" factor and draw the eye from the floor mat.

I just love the colors and textures in this shot. The sharp lighting from the "skylight" adds to the angles. I also like how you got the stairs perfectly straight ahead from the viewer leaving all the other angles to show perspective. Very cool!
    Last edited by ggt; 8th September 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer

Real Name
    John

Hi Serge,
    I think you have captured a nice picture here; well done.
    It would be worth; as Miltos suggests to try different crops to see if you like any of them. If it's any help I too would crop out the left-hand wall, as I don't think it adds anything. Something like this (hope you don't mind).

Overall I like your picture as shot and as long as it is what you were trying to acheive (capture) then that's fine.
    Once again thanks for sharing.

Stairwell

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    I'm new to photography (since April). This picture was taken at Mission Concepción in San Antonio, Texas. We were walking in the back entrance since the front was closed. I really liked the light and shadows and the texture of the walls. I tried to expose for the walls knowing the highlights would blow a bit but figured I'd be able to pull back in post processing. Not sure if I got it right though.

Your C&C is appreciated. I really want to get good at photography since it's been so much fun to learn.

Canon T2i in manual mode, 24mm, f8, 1/25s, iso 100, and used spot metering. Shot in raw and used Corel Aftershot Pro ( I compute in Linux) for raw processing. Just minor sharpening and vibrance added.

Thanks.

Serge

Stairwell
    Maybe you can teach me. The only thing is the blown bits on the floor, but this is definetely a good photograph and I can't believe it is your first.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Oh, John, lighting the back area revealed the Cross. Very nice! I know I'm the loaner about the wall to the left.

I have no problems with the wall either, but I've also taken the liberty of some adjustments to lessen the bright areas. The adjustments were done in LR4: exposure to +22, highlights to -100, shadows to +100, clarity = 50, vibrance = 42.

With an original RAW, I suspect much more could be done.

BTW, I think you have a very good eye for composition, and the ability to "see" things. Well seen.

Stairwell

Real Name
    Gretchen

Glenn, I like how you brought out the rust in the door. Nice bit of color.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Oh, John, lighting the back area revealed the Cross. Very nice! I know I'm the loaner about the wall to the left.
    That's what I love about this site; different ideas; none right or wrong just different.
    I too like what Glenn as done with the picture; another lesson for me.

Serge, it must be a good picture you have posted, as we are all debating and enjoying your work.
    Here are some other versions based on everyone input.

Stairwell Stairwell

Real Name
    Gretchen

John, I do think the rug is better left out, but I can see the repeating stone work you did to accomplish this. Most people probably wouldn't. Of course, It bothers ME. Ignore me.

Can you illuminate the cross more --it really gives clues as to the kind of building the stairs are in and makes it sooo much more interesting.

Yes, I agree, this is a wonderful photo. Serge has a wonderful eye.

Something else I just noticed. In Serge's original the light/flame on the wall really stands out and adds to the ambience of the space. In the lighter versions it's kinda lost. I wonder if a darker version would be better????

Real Name
    John

John, I do think the rug is better left out, but I can see the repeating stone work you did to accomplish this. Most people probably wouldn't. Of course, It bothers ME. Ignore me.
    Hi Gretchen,
    I would never ignore you, that's how I'm learning; thank you for the feed back.
    I agree my PP skills are not great by any means; I've only been using PE for short time myself and cheekily use great picture like Serge to practice. I'm sure those more experienced would be able to make a much better attempt, if Serge, wanted. I just wanted to give an idea that there were other possibilities.
    With regards the cross I think Glenn has got it ‘spot on’.

Something else I just noticed. In Serge's original the light/flame on the wall really stands out and adds to the ambience of the space. In the lighter versions it's kinda lost. I wonder if a darker version would be better????
    Gretchen:

I suspect that because the light is in the same brightness range as the sunlight spots, toning down the sunlight also diminishes the light. It might be possible to achieve more brightness in the light if one was working with an original RAW file.

It's all about compromises I think - and these are about personal choice - the reason I didn't change the cropping.

Glenn

PS edit; John - I also like your version without the sunlight on the floor - it's possible that a change in the time the image was taken could eliminate it. Light is everything.

Real Name
    Sergio

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I've been helping my wife do some painting today. Just got done, had a bath, a good meal with a brew and now I'm ready to respond.

Thank you, Thank you all so much for your very encouraging remarks. I will try and respond to each one of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Miltos
    Hello Serge. Lovely image you have. I think it is too busy however. Consider cropping the wall on the left, the door on the right and the floor. Also it's a good candidate for B&W conversion.

Hope it helps!
    Thank you for your remark and comments. I appreciate your input about cropping out certain parts, and it is something to consider. I have also thought about converting this into B&W, but honestly have no idea how to. There is a plugin in Aftershot Pro for converting to B&W, but is there any special steps to take? How would you do it and, if you did, could you tell me the steps taken?

Quote Originally Posted by ggt
    I love this. I like the door and I like the wall. What I don't like is the floor mat and the bright light on it. I think the wall is necessary to show why you didn't shoot a larger portion of the downstairs. Otherwise it looks like you just cut-off the picture to create a long narrow passage. The door is interesting enough, IMHO, that it adds to the shot and provides balance. There is probably no way to totally get rid of the carpet because of the stones on the floor --unless you are really, really good and drawing the floor in (as far as I know, that is the only way to to do it) If you could reduce the light on the mat that would help a lot. Can you lighten then area in the room to the way back --that would also increase the "interesting" factor and draw the eye from the floor mat.

I just love the colors and textures in this shot. The sharp lighting from the "skylight" adds to the angles. I also like how you got the stairs perfectly straight ahead from the viewer leaving all the other angles to show perspective. Very cool!
    Gretchen, I'm glad you like the photo because I'm very fond of it myself. I honestly didn't notice the mat until after the fact and thought about re-shooting after moving it but was worried that I'd somehow upset the sanctity of the place. I will definitely lighten the area in the room to the back to increase the interesting factor and help draw the eye from the floor mat.

Thanks again for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS
    Hi Serge,
    I think you have captured a nice picture here; well done.
    It would be worth; as Miltos suggests to try different crops to see if you like any of them. If it's any help I too would crop out the left-hand wall, as I don't think it adds anything. Something like this (hope you don't mind).

Overall I like your picture as shot and as long as it is what you were trying to achieve (capture) then that's fine.
    Once again thanks for sharing.
    John, I don't mind at all what you have done with the shot, and it is definitely a very different and interesting perspective (Miltos shares the same view) which I had not thought of. Thank you for taking the time to show me the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by arith
    Maybe you can teach me. The only thing is the blown bits on the floor, but this is definetely a good photograph and I can't believe it is your first.
    Steve, I'm sure it would be you teaching me and not the other way around. Thank you though for such a generous comment. As far as it being the first, I'm not sure what you mean. The first of the stairwell or the first ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK
    I have no problems with the wall either, but I've also taken the liberty of some adjustments to lessen the bright areas. The adjustments were done in LR4: exposure to +22, highlights to -100, shadows to +100, clarity = 50, vibrance = 42.

With an original RAW, I suspect much more could be done.

BTW, I think you have a very good eye for composition, and the ability to "see" things. Well seen.
    Glenn, wow, that sure does bring out more of the textures on the wall especially over the stairwell, and as Gretchen stated you can now really see the cross in the background. Very nice work.

I appreciate the comment about being able to see. I have always considered myself a looker and not a seer, but I'm glad I saw this. I hope to grow in that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS
    That's what I love about this site; different ideas; none right or wrong just different.
    I too like what Glenn as done with the picture; another lesson for me.

Serge, it must be a good picture you have posted, as we are all debating and enjoying your work.
    Here are some other versions based on everyone input.
    John, I couldn't agree more. It's amazing and really wonderful the different view and perspectives we have of the same image. It would have been so cool to have everyone who has responded to have been there and taken the shot the way they saw it.

Thank you for the two images you have posted. It's brilliant how you got rid of the mat. I would not be able to do that in a million years. The repeating pattern is noticeable only because as Gretchen commented, I know the mat was there before. Otherwise I doubt anybody would notice.

Thanks again for the revision.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK
    PS edit; John - I also like your version without the sunlight on the floor - it's possible that a change in the time the image was taken could eliminate it. Light is everything.
    Glenn, yes, I've thought of going at another time, unfortunately they close at 5 pm and I don't know how much of a difference it would make. Maybe once the time changes here and it gets darker earlier I can go by and get another shot with different light. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks again everyone for the very positive and encouraging remarks.

Serge

Real Name
    Gretchen

John, drawing the stones on the floor to remove the mat would be a lot of work --even if I could do it by hand with paints. I'm not sure it woud be worth the time and effort --LOL