Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Terra Nova ... Not

Real Name
    Eugen

Terra Nova ... Not

I must confess I had some good fun post processing this pic and some equal frustration because my computer froze twice in the process; first time I didn't save any of my work and lost it all and second time, my saved file was corrupt so I had to start over.

Anyway, the final result was definitely worth all my work. I am very happy the way it turned out.
    It is indeed quite heavily processed but, "I had a vision" and a shot not so great

Comments and criticism welcome.

Terra Nova ... Not

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: Terra Nova ... Not

What a vision you had Eugen! A very very creative one.

I really love your image, it makes you think and wonder. I agree that the final result was definitely worth all your work.

The only bad think is that it reminds me that the winter is leaving your places moving north..

Real Name
    Bobo

Very fine piece of work though I am not sure what this is or how was the shot taken.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Very fine piece of work though I am not sure what this is or how was the shot taken.
    I cant figure it out either Eugen but it looks good !!

Dave

Real Name
    Eugen

Thank you for your comments gents

I must confess I have deliberately left the origin unknown for this pic but not anymore

It is a skylight window which was covered in snow at some point and the snow started to melt. I have noticed it in a shelter on a trip to Hartz Mountains here in Tassie.
    Because I took the pic from inside, everything around turned almost black and that gave me the idea to aim for.
    I did a bit of perspective correction to make it look round and rotated it to make it look tilted.
    Then the bulk of the work started because I had to paint a deep blue with big care to not make my job obvious
    Next, some adjustment layers, levels, brightness, contrast ... the usual bit.
    To give that 3D look to certain areas, I have selected them and applied the so called "Custom" Filter from Photoshop.

I did notice that filter some time ago and at the time I had played with the values until I got a 3D effect... lucky me, I saved the settings. It is not appropriate many times but when you need a rugged surface, it does wonders.

At the end, it looked good in my eyes until a friend pointed out a blue cast in the ice and thanks to a member of CiC who posted a link in a White Balance thread, I was able to set the midtones correctly - and the blue cast was gone.

Here is the whole story I might post the original later.

Thank you for interest.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Very cool! My first thought was that it was a pile of powdered sugar. Salt or sugar crystals would produce too much of a reflection. This kind of PP work is right up my alley. Eugen, you are entering my world -- becareful, it's hard to leave LOL

Real Name
    John

Eugen,
    I love it; great work, well worth the effort.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks for explaining.

Real Name
    Eugen

@Gretchen
    Very good idea about a pile of salt/sugar; never crossed my mind and now will never leave it Hope to put it in practice sometime.
    If you have Photoshop, try that custom filter sometime. You might like the effect.

@John
    Thank you, glad you like it

@Bobobird
    No worries Bobo I should have done it in my first post.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    I must confess I had some good fun post processing this pic and some equal frustration because my computer froze twice in the process; first time I didn't save any of my work and lost it all and second time, my saved file was corrupt so I had to start over.

Anyway, the final result was definitely worth all my work. I am very happy the way it turned out.
    It is indeed quite heavily processed but, "I had a vision" and a shot not so great

Comments and criticism welcome.

Terra Nova ... Not
    Really like it. It's like the earth seen from space during the ice age with a slight shadow from a distant star/planet.

Very nice

Serge

Wow another wild shot and I do like this one too. At first I though it was the world all frozen over and some areas of water was thawed. Sounds like lots of hard work too.

Carl

Real Name
    Eugen

Thank you Serge and Carl

I am happy now that I looked upwards that day, it would have been so easy to miss it. Heh... beginner's luck

Real Name
    Gretchen

Great Eugen, now I have more kitchen lighting experiments to drive my family crazy!!! LOL

I will and I'll be sure to post!

Real Name
    Eugen

Experiments are fun ... and time consuming

Guess I'll try some experiments sometime - maybe on a rainy weekend.