Thread: Nikon D-90 Lens

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Nikon D-90 Lens

For all the Nikon users here I have a question. I pick up a used D-90 body only local here for a very good price. Not knowing much about a Nikon or there lens which lens should I get first. Looking at a general purpose lens that would allow me do a little everything and not break my bank account. Thanks!

Real Name
    Tom

Re: Nikon D-90 Lens

My absolute favorite lens on my D5000 is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It costs about $500 and is sharp as a tack wide open. It doesn't have VR, but I don't miss it on a standard zoom. Lots of people like the Nikkor 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 VR, which is a bit less expensive (about $400 new) and has a very nice range of focal lengths and has VR, but is a tad on the dark side for my taste.

A good "poor man's holy trinity" is the Tokina 12-24 f/4, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8; and either Tamron's or Nikon's 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VC/VR. If you buy the standard zoom as your first lens, you can add the other two as funds allow -- each will run about $500ish. FWIW

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Tom I check out that Tammy lens , dose look like a winner. Here what Roger said about it over at lensrentals.com

"The Tammy is the best lens nobody knows about, and possibly the best bang-for-the-buck of any camera lens, period. Its" nearly as sharp as the Nikon 24-70 , particularly on DX cameras, but much smaller, lighter, and cheaper. Think about it: you can get 3.5 of these for the price of one 24-70 f/2.8.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A couple of suggestions: The kit lenses are not bad, and I started with the ultra cheap f3.5-5.6 18 -55 mm lens. $100 well spent and other than being a bit fragile because of it's plastic mount is a great little performer. I still use it as my lightweight lens on my D90 when I am out and about and don't feel like carrying my higher end (read heavy) gear. It's not stabilized, but at these focal lengths, it doesn't matter. I used this for 80% - 90% of my shooting when I first got my camera and it takes you from moderate wide angle to short zoom range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._6G_ED_II.html

A nice complement is the image stabilized f/4 - 5.6 55-200mm lens for around $250. It comes with me as well when I go light.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...om_Nikkor.html

There are several other less expensive lenses available from Nikon and the third party lens makers.

My wife has the more expensive f/3.5 - 5.6 18-200mm lens that she shoots with on her D90 about 95% of the time. It runs around $850.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._18_200mm.html

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I strongly considered the Tammy 28-75 when I was looking at getting a midrange zoom for my D90. I liked the speed and the length, but I could not look past its lack of true wide angles and its outdated autofocus system. So, I got the Sigma 17-70 os. It had been updated recently (at the time 18 months ago) to include the stabilization and a little wider aperture at the long end. It has Sigma's very good HSM for its autofocus system.
    It is close focusing and has very nice bokeh. The bokeh was very important to me and helped it to win out over another competitor, the Nikon 16-85. For me, having the wide focal lengths was essential. I have really gotten much more into landscapes since buying the lens. Every lens has its special qualities and its admirers. The fact that I was able to get the Sigma for around $400 did not hurt, either.

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Paul, I had the D90 now shoot with the D7000. I use the same lenses for the D7000 that I used with the D90. Both are Nikon lenses. They are the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm, both of these are inexpensive lenses as lenses go. They are made for the consumer rather than the professional, so they do not have all the bells and whistles but I do not need that. The reviews of both lenses from many sources rate the optics equal to the more expensive lenses. The images I have posted in the forum today were shot with my 55-300. It is the lens I use exclusively for nature photography. I use the 18-55 as my walking around lens when playing the tourist. I would shoot Nikon lenses on a Nikon camera IMHO.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    For all the Nikon users here I have a question. I pick up a used D-90 body only local here for a very good price. Not knowing much about a Nikon or there lens which lens should I get first. Looking at a general purpose lens that would allow me do a little everything and not break my bank account. Thanks!
    If you can still contact the seller find out why they didn't include the kit (18-55mm) lens? Chances are they liked it and decided to keep it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    If you can still contact the seller find out why they didn't include the kit (18-55mm) lens? Chances are they liked it and decided to keep it.
    Not surprisingly, these cameras are usually sold without a kit lens. Some retailers do create packages, but those tend to be bundled with entry level cameras. The D90, D5100 or D7000 are often the camera someone will move up to, and will already have a few lenses.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

He keep his lens just move up to the D7000, not really sure why the D90 just as good as the D7000 well maybe

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    He keep his lens just move up to the D7000, not really sure why the D90 just as good as the D7000 well maybe
    I don't think that is what I said. The D3000 series is the current entry level camera, and the way I have seen bundles, the D3200 is the one I see most often bundled with a lens or set of lenses.

The D7000 (2010 technology) is better than the D90 (2008 technology). It has a better sensor and has a metal, rather than plastic body, a bit more functionality, etc.. From a marketing standpoint, they were aimed at the same market segment when they were first introduced. When I bought my D90, it was the was the high-end consumer camera. The mid-range was covered off by the D50 and the D40 was the entry level model. I expect that the reason for the good price is that the distributor is still cleaning out the remaining stock of D90 units. Currently you have the D3200 as entry level, D5100 as mid-range and D7000 as high end consumer lines.

Real Name
    Christopher

My D90 came with a compact 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens, which is a standard kit offering from Amazon UK. I have found the lens very agreeable and versatile for all general purposes, and I also use it with my D7000, which came to me as a body only.