Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: ViewNX shows wrong thumbnails

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

ViewNX shows wrong thumbnails

This question is addressed to any and all Nikon ViewNX software users out there.

I seem to have an odd problem; if I display thumbnails at smaller than the two largest sizes, e.g. where 3 or more fit across the screen, I see the wrong thumbnail image for a given filename. If I make the thumbnails either of the two largest sizes, e.g. so only two fit across the screen, the correct image is shown.

It is only the thumbnail picture that is wrong, the filename text and rating, etc. all belong to the correct image in that folder. The number of files affected seems to be on the increase. I haven't figured out a pattern to it yet. The 'wrong' pictures shown may not even be in the same folder. Changing sort order has no effect, nor grid or list view, niether does closing and opening ViewNX. I have tonight updated to the latest version of ViewNX (1.4), but all this did was change the 'wrong' image being shown.

I haven't found a means to rebuild thumbnails, re-index or refresh the view, that fixes this.

As to what might be causing it; I am editing images in PSE6 (opened from within ViewNX), and I am saving back into the same folder, the new pics appear at the end of list or grid OK. However, it must be associated to this activity as it doesn't happen in folders where I haven't yet edited and saved back any images. The whole lot is on an external USB connected HDD, although I doubt that's relevant.

Anyone else come across this?

Re: ViewNX shows wrong thumbnails

Having plenty of time to read forums I have noticed a recurrent subject, "problems occurring when mixing PP programs", particularly when the said programs are from a different company.

Sorry I can't help you, as 99.9% of the time I stick to Lightroom.

Real Name

You are probably right Bill,

The thing is I had different (worse) problems with the file managing part of PSE 6* (it doesn't like importing lots of RAWs on a dual core machine!) and ViewNX offers several advantages over it too.

* but the editor part is fine

You just can't have everything I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    You are probably right Bill,

The thing is I had different (worse) problems with the file managing part of PSE 6* (it doesn't like importing lots of RAWs on a dual core machine!) and ViewNX offers several advantages over it too.

* but the editor part is fine

You just can't have everything I guess
    Yes you can, it's called Lightroom 2.4.

Real Name

Hi Bill,

OK, a couple of questions for you;

In LR, do you get ACR and if so, how many tabs does it have? (I only get 3; Basic, Detail and Camera Calibration with PSE)

From browsing files just imported, is there a one click zoom to 100% for focus checking?

Thanks,

Dave, best suggestion is try the free 30 day trial, this will give you some idea of what the program can do. I've been using it for 8 months and am very very impressed.