Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon DSLR Feature

Real Name
    Jeff

Canon DSLR Feature

I have a Canon Rebel T3 DSLR. Under the menu options, there is a metering option that I don't quite understand its purpose. This option is called "Metering Timer." When selected it gives the choice of various time increments, such as 4 sec., 16 sec., 30 sec., 1 min., 10 min., and 30 min., maximum.

Could someone familiar with Canon cameras explain this option and what it does? I've consulted the manual about it, but I still don't quite understand how it actually works. Thanks!

Jeff
    Last edited by bisso7; 2nd September 2012 at 09:52 PM.

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Canon DSLR Feature

Hi Jeff,

You can also set the metering timer, how long the camera holds and displays the metering information after you release the shutter button, anywhere from 4 seconds to 30 minutes.
    When you press the shutter button the camera will choose the exposure and display it in the view finder. Release the shutter button and the camera stills shows the metering info for the configured length of time. Try it and see. A longer time may just use a tiny amount more battery.

Alex

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    Release the shutter button and the camera stills shows the metering info for the configured length of time.
    Thanks for the response, Alex. This is what I thought, too. I tried it, but the metering info remains in the viewfinder for only 3-4 seconds, despite choosing a longer time increment.

I switched the camera to "Live View" mode, and then tried various time increments. It worked perfectly, so it appears this function is solely while in "Live View" mode.

Thanks, again!

Jeff
    Last edited by bisso7; 2nd September 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Real Name
    Scott

It probably makes immediate sense when read in the original Japanese.