Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Castilla La Mancha, Spain

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Castilla La Mancha, Spain

I stopped to take these photos while driving through Castilla La Mancha, about an hour after sunrise.

And this is similar to the above one. #2 seems cleaner with fewer elements, and the haystack better positioned. #1 has the nice long sloping hillside. I think #2 gets my vote.

I particularly like this one.

This advertising has become an icon of the countryside.

Comments welcome.

Tony

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Castilla La Mancha, Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    #2 seems cleaner with fewer elements, and the haystack better positioned. #1 has the nice long sloping hillside. I think #2 gets my vote.
    I'm afraid I go the opposite way Tony. Why?

I feel the 2nd one is a bot too claustrophobic. It's sort-of crowding me, whereas the first one has an 'airier', more open feel to it, which I like. And I'm also afraid that I prefer the haystack where it is in #1. I think it has the effect of dividing the image in #2.

But, it's your image and only you can decide which is the 'right' one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    I particularly like this one.
    Agreed. Wonderful light.

I also think #4 works well, particularly because it places the advertising hoarding in context. We see it in its landscape. And it's for that reason that I'm not keen on #5 because the hoarding takes over the image. I know you were showing that so that people could see it more clearly, but for me it's also a good illustration about the contents of an image not being in balance.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Thanks very much Donald for your comments; they are very helpful - as always.

I understand what you mean about #1: what bothered me about it was the wind turbines in the far distance on the left, but it does have a more open, expansive feel to it. (Yeah, I'm a pushover when it comes to changing my mind.)

And I also prefer #4 to #5 for the reason you said.

Five minutes separated these photos. #3 is looking more towards the sunrise than #1 and #2, while #4 and #5 are looking away from the sunrise. It's amazing the effect it has on the light.

Tony

Real Name
    Phil Page

#3 is my favourite - I like the juxtaposition of trees and turbines, the light and layers of terrain into the distance. Good spot.