Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Blue Moon Friday

Real Name
    Jon

Blue Moon Friday

Who said the "Blue Moon" wasn't really blue?? Well ok, it really wasn't blue, I just had to play

Blue Moon Friday

Breaking cloud cover makes for a less than ideal situation, not as sharp as I would like but I have not had enough scotch to steady myself
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 1st September 2012 at 03:59 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Blue Moon Friday

Hi Jon,

You could improve the apparent sharpness online by downsizing to 950px tall, then doing a USM sharpen at 90%, 0.3px, 2 threshold, before uploading to TinyPic.

A full moon is always less satisfying to view in a photo (than a crescent) because the bit with the best contrast lighting is right on the edge and a tiny percentage of the surface area we see.

This is better than many I've taken though.

Although using the Digital Zoom on the SX30 helps get a bigger image, possibly not doing that and cropping more in PP, with better post crop sharpening would also help - but I am guessing there; it depends on the in camera sharpening, since the Canon SX30 is jpg only (like my Nikon P510).

A couple of nights ago I shot some of it too, but I haven't downloaded yet.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Blue Moon Friday

Thanks Dave. That was what I forgot...turn off digital zoom. Must have been from too much scotch I will play with the original some this evening. I will be at the air show all day today...we haven't had one here for 13 years. Ought to be a good day