Thread: Young Lady ISO 3200 B & W C & C Welcomed!

Young Lady ISO 3200 B & W C & C Welcomed!

A quick shot caught her a little off guard but I thought it was good anyway. Please all comments welcomed for C & C.

Canon 60D w/17-55mm f/2.8
    ISO 3200
    55mm
    f/3.2
    1/125
    Define2.0
    Silver Efex Pro2
    LR4.1

Re: Young Lady ISO 3200 B & W C & C Welcomed!

I sharpened it a little more as the first looked a little too soft to me. Which do you think is better?

My first thoughts, Carl, were that a little sharpening would help. But I think you may have slightly overdone it with the reworking.

I was thinking more about a little selective sharpening instead of everything the same. And possibly working on a layer with the Blend Mode set to Luminosity which might also help to prevent any harshness.

ps. Looks like we had similar thoughts at the same time, Dave.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 31st August 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: extra line

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Carl,

I prefer the first, although some bits (the eyes) would benefit from being sharper, the noise, her skin and hair does not (in the second). You needed to be selective.

If mine; I would clone out the light hair(s) crossing her right eye and nose, all the rest are OK for this style of shot.

Good composition, DoF, exposure and background though - and I like it.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    My first thoughts, Carl, were that a little sharpening would help. But I think you may have slightly overdone it with the reworking.

I was thinking more about a little selective sharpening instead of everything the same. And possibly working on a layer with the Blend Mode set to Luminosity which might also help to prevent any harshness.

ps. Looks like we had similar thoughts at the same time, Dave.
    Thanks Geoff,

Yea we did! Arrggg I do that every time. I only have LR4.1 with Nik software. I should have used Viviza on it and selected the eyes and maybe the mouth?

Thanks for your comments as they have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Carl,

I prefer the first, although some bits (the eyes) would benefit from being sharper, the noise, her skin and hair does not (in the second). You needed to be selective.

If mine; I would clone out the light hair(s) crossing her right eye and nose, all the rest are OK for this style of shot.

Good composition, DoF, exposure and background though - and I like it.

Cheers,
    Thanks Dave,

I will need to look at some software that is better at cloning than LR4.1's healing tool. I tried the healing tool in LR4.1 and it was nasty . I have PSE10 but have read that the healing tool in it is no better and I have not yet learned how to use PSE10. Your comments are always helpful again thank you.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    I have PSE10 but have read that the healing tool in it is no better and I have not yet learned how to use PSE10. Your comments are always helpful again thank you.
    The PSE10 clone stamp tool (not spot healing brush), will do admirably for that hair.

Glad to help,

The PSE10 clone stamp tool (not spot healing brush), will do admirably for that hair.

Glad to help,
    Thanks Dave,

I will just have to start learning PSE 10. I have been putting it off trying to improve on PP with LR4.1 and Nik software. Oh well three at a time should not be too hard...lol.

I think I finally figured out how to use that clone stamp tool. Does it look okay?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    I think I finally figured out how to use that clone stamp tool. Does it look okay?
    I could only see 'evidence' of cloning when I zoomed right in; slight discontinuity of lines being crossed, but for a first go, it is very good Carl.

There are several tricks to cloning which will come with practice;
    resample often
    do the lines crossed first and always resample just adjacent so as to avoid steps
    zoom in to 200% (or more) so you don't have to be so precise with the brush

Cheers,

Real Name
    Kevin

Hey, Carl

I use both LR4 and PSE 10, and completely disagree that the Healing brush in PSE is no better than LR. Healing and cloning in LR is just not good- clumsy, imprecise, and difficult to use on bigger areas. I love LR, but if I could change just one thing it would be the Healing/cloning tool.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Hey, Carl

I use both LR4 and PSE 10, and completely disagree that the Healing brush in PSE is no better than LR. Healing and cloning in LR is just not good- clumsy, imprecise, and difficult to use on bigger areas. I love LR, but if I could change just one thing it would be the Healing/cloning tool.
    Hey Kevin, Thanks!

Well I have learned something new so I will have to keep at it. I have been putting off learning PSE10 but will have to give it a go to be able to do these types of things. I totally agree with you on LR's issues it would be the only area I see needs changing really bad. But I do love LR for most everything I want to do.

I could only see 'evidence' of cloning when I zoomed right in; slight discontinuity of lines being crossed, but for a first go, it is very good Carl.

There are several tricks to cloning which will come with practice;
    resample often
    do the lines crossed first and always resample just adjacent so as to avoid steps
    zoom in to 200% (or more) so you don't have to be so precise with the brush

Cheers,
    Thanks Dave,

Going slow is sometimes hard for me to get accustomed to. I will however go back to this image and rework it again only a lot slower this time around. I want bother posting as I think I have learned so much for right now and need to get it down pat first. Again Thank You very much for your help and comments.

Carl