Thread: Canon 60D wireless stroboscopic flash.

Real Name
    Lex

Canon 60D wireless stroboscopic flash.

I'm lined up to work at the next practice session for the Detroit Fire Guild, a local group of hoopers, fire dancers, and acrobats. I have a couple tricks up my sleeve already, but I'm trying to figure out remote stroboscopic flash with the hardware I have on hand.

My goal is to fire 2 remote Canon 580EX II Speedlites in stroboscopic mode with the IR system built into my 60D. I have no idea if this is actually possible. Everything I've done so far, and no mention of such a setup in any literature I can find, points to no. I can set stroboscopic mode and wireless triggering, but setting the 580EX II to slave mode (with the camera's built-in flash as the master) reverts the 580EX II to E-TTL II mode. I suspected that this was because the built-in flash has no stroboscopic mode, but using my second 580EX II as the master produces the same result.

So without additional hardware, is it possible to set a 580EX II to stroboscopic wireless triggering? As a follow-up, would a trio of Pocket Wizards (or similar) work?

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: Canon 60D wireless stroboscopic flash.

Sounds like a good qustion for Colin

Real Name
    Kathy

I think you may be limited to a single off-camera strobe. Use one 580EX II on-camera as your master in stroboscopic mode, and it should trigger the off-camera speedlite likewise. I've done it with a 580EX on-camera and a 430EX off-camera.

Real Name
    Lex

I've successfully fired both of my 580EX IIs in manual wireless and E-TTL II wireless modes with the 60D's built-in flash as the master (a 7D can do the same trick). The only mode I haven't figured out (and which may not be possible) is wireless stroboscopic (Canon calls it Multi) mode.

Real Name
    Andrew

I downloaded this a while ago - if you've done your research you probably already have it. It is vague, to say the least, but it does lead me to believe that what you want to do is possible.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/...QuickGuide.pdf

Not sure if it'll help you out - but thought I'd try.

Real Name
    Lex

Well, well. That guide sounds pretty unequivocal about wireless Multi mode working. But I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll keep trying, but it might be time to send Syl Arena an e-mail.

Real Name
    Andrew

Ha! That's probably you're best bet. I was going to flip through the Speedliter's Handbook this morning before work to see if I could help you out any more, but I just ran out of time.

I'm sure Syl would know what to do!

Real Name
    Lex

Got it, and I didn't even have to invoke Syl, the Speedlite demigod.

One needs to use a 580EX II (or other Multi-capable flash) as the master and leave it on the hot shoe. Since the 60D's built-in flash has no multi mode, it can't be used as the master (it can be used as the master with E-TTL and Manual modes). Program the slave(s) for Multi mode with the parameters you need, then remove them from the shoe and set them to slave mode (press and hold the Zoom button for 3sec, then turn the handwheel 1 tick CW and press set).

This will revert the flash to full-power manual mode (don't panic). Press and hold the Mode button for 3sec, then press Mode again, once. Viola. Back in Multi with the programmed settings intact.

I'm not exactly sure why the sequence works that way - it'd be much simpler if the flash simply stayed in Multi mode when removed from the camera shoe. Not the end of the world, but very confusing. Here's hoping Canon's next-generation models have built-in radio triggers and more intuitive flash control.

Real Name
    Andrew

Ta Da! I knew you'd figure it out! Now, let us see the results of your efforts once you get them developed.

Real Name
    Lex

That might be a while, since I'm not sure when the next practice is scheduled, but I'll be sure to post my results here once I'm happy with them. Cheers for finding that quick guide.