Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montreal,Quebec visit

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Montreal,Quebec visit

Hello everbody. here are some images from our visit to Montreal, Quebec ( also New York).
    Thanks.

Montreal,Quebec  visit]

Chute Montmorency, Quebec city 25aug2012
    Nikon D3100, kit lens. program-mode

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Re: Montreal,Quebec visit

I've been to this location in mid winter, and it looks entirely different, all ice and snow covered. You often see people climbing the ice on the rocks to the right of the waterfall. On my monitor, this image looks very saturated and unnatural. If you like it this way for artistic reasons, there is no need to change.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

It's a nice scene but the colours do look over-saturated to me too. Also I think the exposure has gone wrong - the sky highlights are blown quite badly and the bridge is hard to see. I see you have used Program Mode. I've never used that mode so I cant comment on it but I would use Aperture Priority mode for this and let the camera decide the shutter speed. Then I would review it on the screen and adjust the Exposure Compensation to ensure the sky wasn't blown. As the sun appears to be coming from the rear of the shot, the falls and cliffs would probably be under-exposed and these could be adjusted in post processing. HDR with three different exposures would be another option.

Dave

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    I've been to this location in mid winter, and it looks entirely different, all ice and snow covered. You often see people climbing the ice on the rocks to the right of the waterfall. On my monitor, this image looks very saturated and unnatural. If you like it this way for artistic reasons, there is no need to change.
    Thanks Ken. Yes, really have a prob with my laptop monitor. still on the road. will upload on
    my desktop which is fixed for pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    It's a nice scene but the colours do look over-saturated to me too. Also I think the exposure has gone wrong - the sky highlights are blown quite badly and the bridge is hard to see. I see you have used Program Mode. I've never used that mode so I cant comment on it but I would use Aperture Priority mode for this and let the camera decide the shutter speed. Then I would review it on the screen and adjust the Exposure Compensation to ensure the sky wasn't blown. As the sun appears to be coming from the rear of the shot, the falls and cliffs would probably be under-exposed and these could be adjusted in post processing. HDR with three different exposures would be another option.

Dave
    Thanks for the CnC Dave. will need to learn more about editing. next time I'll use Aperture priority.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Montreal,Quebec  visit

here's another angle/ view from cable-car. f/5.6, 1/40, ISO100.
    I think made a mistake adjusting EV high to +1.0 I was afraid pix would come out underexposed because of the late hour and cloudy skies.
    used Nikon View NX2 to edit. ( crop, lower brightness. contrast-20 only)
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 28th August 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Victor I think the exposure on the second shot is a lot better than the first and this makes for a better image all round. The colour still seems a bit over-saturated but this may be due to the brightness and contrast adjustments you've made. I haven't used View NX2 for quite a while but I think it's fairly limited in what you can do with it. You could try the free software "FastStone Image Viewer" which includes some reasonably good editing functions.

Dave

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Squirrel @ McDonald park, 22aug2012
    Nikon D50 . 300mm. Sports mode: F/5.6, 1/160, Auto ISO 800, WB:Auto
    Metering: Matrix
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 29th August 2012 at 06:24 PM.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Rue St. Louis, Old Quebec 8/25/2012 18:56:26.60
    Nikon D3100, kit lens: 18-55mm
    Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto: F/3.5: 1/30, Auto ISO 1000. AutoWB, Exposure Comp.: +1.0EV : Metering: Center-Weighted
    pp/ViewNX2
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 1st September 2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: add info

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Victor,

When shooting this type of scene, especially if you can't correct it in PP, you need to look at getting the shot level and square as possible at time of capture.

It looks like you judged verticals on the left side of shot, but since the camera is pointed upwards, the right side is falling in.

If, due to only using ViewNX2 for editing, you cannot correct levels and perspective in PP, then you could try to shoot a bit wider (if possible), that means you don't have to point up so much, reducing converging verticals. The wider angle then allows a simple crop the bottom off to achieve the composition required. Also when shooting; even up any converging verticals on both sides of the shot (or get something in the middle of the final intended composition vertical).

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Victor,

When shooting this type of scene, especially if you can't correct it in PP, you need to look at getting the shot level and square as possible at time of capture.

It looks like you judged verticals on the left side of shot, but since the camera is pointed upwards, the right side is falling in.

If, due to only using ViewNX2 for editing, you cannot correct levels and perspective in PP, then you could try to shoot a bit wider (if possible), that means you don't have to point up so much, reducing converging verticals. The wider angle then allows a simple crop the bottom off to achieve the composition required. Also when shooting; even up any converging verticals on both sides of the shot (or get something in the middle of the final intended composition vertical).

Hope that helps,
    Hi Dave,

Thanks . I really take to heart your advice. Truth is, all your advice , I have copied n Pasted in my CiC tutorial folder for future ref.

I will carefully study
    even up any converging verticals on both sides of the shot (or get something in the middle of the final intended composition vertical).

Will shoot some samples to get concrete views/ideas how it's done.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Montreal,Quebec  visit

sunset reflections: parc rapides, St. Lawrence river, Montreal, Labor Day 01Sep2012
    Nikon D50. Nikkor: 28-100mm F/3.5-5.6G @ 28mm.
    Aperture Priority: : F/5.6 :1/320. ISO200: WBAuto. sooc. no pp. downsize only.

MAP: https://maps.google.com/?q=7770,+bou...Salle%29,+QC,+

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Victor,

Here's another one not level
    Don't worry I do it ALL the time too, but always PP correct it before posting

Does the D50 have any viewfinder gridlines you can switch on?
    Mind you, I have them on and still shoot crooked far to often

You can judge by either the horizon, if far enough away, or by making sure the light is vertically directly above its reflection.

If you were to PP this shot, two other things you could clone out;
    there's a sensor dust spot top left
    the bit of tree intruding into shot, also top left

The shot does convey a tranquility to the anglers pursuit though.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Dave, straightened it a bit. cloned out the tree and spot ( got this D50 3rd hand. will study how to clean it. ) used Helicon Filter 5.
    Thanks for your CnC, learning more.

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

full moon over St. Joseph's Oratory

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Nikon D50. Lens:28-100mm F/3.5-5.6 @ 28mm. noVR
    Focus Mode: AF-A. AF-Area Mode.
    Exposure Mode:Programmed Auto*:F/3.5 :1/13
    Metering: Center-Weighted. : Auto (ISO 1600).
    pp/View NX2 - crop, straighten, sharpen, contrast.

Saint Joseph's Oratory, perched atop Mount Royal, is one of the world's most visited centres of pilgrimage. The basilica's huge dome reaches 97 meters and is second only in height to Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome. The imposing edifice contrasts sharply with the slight stature of its founder, Saint Brother André, the humble doorkeeper who inspired its construction in 1904. Dedicated to Saint Joseph, the shrine includes among other things, the small original chapel, a votive chapel, a crypt church, and the Basilica which can accommodate over 2,200 people. The votive chapel contains personal items (called ex-votos) left behind by thankful pilgrims in memory of a claimed healing. Its magnificent organs and its carillon composed of 56 bells give audible testament to the world’s great composers.
    Montreal Tourism off.
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 3rd September 2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add info

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Nite view of downtown Montreal from the Kondiaronk Belvedere, Mont Royal. ( less than 10min drive from our place.) The pyramid lights on the left is the Eaton Centre. The long row of lights on the top right is the bridge over the St. Lawrence river.
    Sun, 10pm. 02sep2012

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Nikon D50. Lens:28-100mm F/3.5-5.6 @ 28mm. noVR::F/3.5 :1/13 Auto (ISO 1600)

The viewpoint is a semicircular plaza with a chalet, overlooking downtown Montreal. Built in 1906, it is named for the Petun chief Kondiaronk, whose influence led to a major peace accord between the French, Iroquois and other Indian tribes in 1701.
    http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Wha...-du-mont-royal

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Squirrel @ MacDonald Park, Montreal. testing Nikkor 55-200mm

@ 55mm focal length. Nikkor 55 - 200mm

Montreal,Quebec  visit

NIKON D3100 Date/Time: 2012:09:05 16:44:40 (1/60: f/4.2 ISO280. EV: 1.00 : AutoWB Metering Mode: center weight Exposure: program (auto)
    pp/ViewNx2

@ 62mm

Montreal,Quebec  visit

NIKON D3100 . Date/Time: 2012:09:05 16:42:23 1/60, : f/4.2. ISO250. Exposure Bias: 1.00. AutoWB. : center weight. Exposure: program (auto)
    pp/ViewNx2

@ 82mm

Montreal,Quebec  visit

NIKON D3100 Date/Time: 2012:09:05 16:42:15 : 1/60) Aperture: f/4.2 ISO280 Exposure Bias: 1.00 Whitebalance: Auto. : center weight Exposure: program auto. pp/ViewNx2

@ 86mm

Montreal,Quebec  visit

NIKON D3100 Date/Time: 2012:09:05 16:45:30 1/60. : f/4.2 ISO400 Exposure Bias: 1.00 : AutoWB Metering Mode: center weight Exposure: program (auto). pp/ViewNx2

Real Name
    Eugen

I see a lot of pictures and I can say that you definitely have good composition skills. Exposure looks correct almost every time.
    However, all but the fisherman one suffer from over saturation. It might be the way your monitor is calibrated, or the angle you view the monitor when doing PP or your colour perception, hard to tell.

I'd like to recommend you another good freeware XnView which has quite nice photo editing capabilities.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    I see a lot of pictures and I can say that you definitely have good composition skills. Exposure looks correct almost every time.
    However, all but the fisherman one suffer from over saturation. It might be the way your monitor is calibrated, or the angle you view the monitor when doing PP or your colour perception, hard to tell.

I'd like to recommend you another good freeware XnView which has quite nice photo editing capabilities.
    Hi Eugen, Thanks for your CnC.
    Those saturated images may be because of my mistaken perception of my laptop's monitor. I have tried several calibration techniques but they somehow fail. Some recommended some calibration devices which I may be able to purchase next time. The angle of the monitor does seem to affect the colors/brightness , so I try to keep it in one angle everytime I use this laptop. But somehow I do like to add saturation to my images and I do my best to please everybody but sometimes some say over some say add saturation.
    I guess I'll just do my best to get my laptop calibrated or use my desktop when I get back to the Philippines.

Thanks also for your recommended freeware XnView. May I see some of your pictures you have edited in it so I can have an idea of its capabilities. At present , because I am still new to editing, I am experimenting/learning how to use GIMP, Helicon Filter 5, LR4.1, PSElements10, Darktable, and some other freeware. Unfortunately, I can not afford CS6 and other hi-end softwares , maybe in the future.

I really appreciate your CnC and hope to learn more from you.

Thank you,

Vic Nimitz

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Montreal - Philadelphia. pentax ws80. sooc/downsize to 640 only. 02Oct2012

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Montreal,Quebec  visit

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz