Thread: After Monet......

Real Name
    Gary

After Monet......

I went down to my local lake to specifically look for 'abstract' type images reflecting on the water. I didn't think they worked that well. On closer inspection when I got back and with some cropping and softening in PP I came up with this image.It reminded me of some of the Monet paintings of water lillies. Any comments/thoughts welcomed.

Cheers for now

Gary

After Monet......
    Last edited by oldgreygary; 25th August 2012 at 12:49 PM.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: After Monet......

I think your photo definitely captures the feeling and mood of an impressionistic painting. Nice job.

Karm

Real Name
    Richard

Gary, I really like this image. I am a great fan of Monet. I wonder if you tried some additional satuation and additional contrast? It seems to me that the additional saturation and contrast directs more attention to the blues and pinkish colors while still allowing the greens to recieve the majority of attention...

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks Karm and Richard for your replies. I tried your suggestions Richard and liked what I saw! Here is the revised version.

Cheers for now

Gary

After Monet......

Real Name
    Gretchen

WOW, very cool! I like both. Although I think Monet's are more toward the vibrant version. I ususally think of Monet has having that "just rained-on look". If you know what I mean, when a gentle rain shower has ended, everything is just a little brighter and seems more-colorful. Probably some scientific reason --like the chlorophyl in the plants is increased because the roots are soaking up the water . . .
    Last edited by ggt; 25th August 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: as usual, forgot something

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I love minds that can see the world differently and take what 99.9% of us would pass by without a glance and make an artwork of it. Well done, Gary.

Real Name
    Richard

Wow! IMO, that would be well worth getting printed on stretched canvas and hanging on your wall!

Gretchen, I think the brightness after a rain might also be due to the foliage getting the dust and grime rinsed off...

Real Name
    Gretchen

Richard, and perhaps some light reflected from the water drops left over? I'm glad you knew what I meant.

I agree this is a lovely, printable photo.

Real Name
    Gary

Gretchen, Donald and Richard thanks for your comments. I guess photography is allowing what I thought were lost creative energies to resurface again. Several years ago I did an art course and I guess that the impressionistic style of painting must have stuck in my mind somewhere. That probably explains how the connection came when I took the image?
    I did have to do a heavy crop so I am not sure about the quality of a print version. But, I do agree that it would work as a print.

Cheers for now

Gary