Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Talk about luck.

  1. #1
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Talk about luck.

    Talk about luck when you always have your camera with you.


    I'm meeting a friend of mine at a local mall. I did not know that the 2012 Women's 10-Ball Championship Tournament is being held at the same mall where we are supposed to meet. The Elimination Round is just starting so I hurriedly took out my Nikon D70 and engaged my Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens to the body. Too bad I only bought my nifty fifty. I wish I also have my 80-200mm for some real close up shots. I immediately look for the event organizer and asked if I can take pictures even though I am not a legit photographer for the event. He said that it's fine as long as I don't cross over the red line. Awesome! Since the lighting is not that bright, I've set my camera to Aperture Priority, ISO 800, and I didn't go smaller than f/2.8. Hope you like what I got. Thanks for viewing!


    Image #1.
    Talk about luck.

    Image #2.

    Talk about luck.

    Image #3.

    Talk about luck.

    Image #4.

    Talk about luck.

    Image #5.

    Talk about luck.

    Image #6.

    Talk about luck.

    Image #7.

    Talk about luck.

    Image #8.

    Talk about luck.

    Image #9.

    Talk about luck.


    I got about 500 images with me and still processing them. LOL! How I wish I could have stayed longer but my friend came on time and we had to talk. I'm really glad I always bring my Nikon D70 with me.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bucharest,Romania
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: Talk about luck.

    I like no.3

  3. #3
    dubaiphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,850
    Real Name
    Phil Page

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Good series, Willie. These event organisers can be more friendly that you'd expect and if you don't ask, you don't get!

  4. #4
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,701
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Great stuff, Willie. I have no doubt that the your street photography work gave you good experience for this type of session as well.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    2,550
    Real Name
    Andre Burger

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Hi Jiro,
    No, no luck in that. You did what all of us should do, always carry a camera. You did the right thing and the result is a series of great shots.
    We can all learn from this. Thanks for sharing.

  6. #6
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,038
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Great series Willie,

    I always carry a small (RAW/manual) P&S, but I wouldn't be able to replicate these with it - there'd be far too much DoF, not to mention a few other issues at 800 iso

    Congrats on carrying what might be called 'a real camera' (and lens).

    As a documentary photo, #6 does it for me; the player's concentration, the board stating the event, etc.

    Well done,

  7. #7
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    I like no.3
    Thanks, Radu for liking it.

  8. #8
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Good series, Willie. These event organisers can be more friendly that you'd expect and if you don't ask, you don't get!
    Thanks, Phil. Well, there's no harm on trying. Better to have friends than enemies.

  9. #9
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Great stuff, Willie. I have no doubt that the your street photography work gave you good experience for this type of session as well.
    Thanks, Donald. Yeah, I believe so. Having an idea as to when to press the shutter seems to work even in Sports photography. Thank you very much.

  10. #10
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Hi Jiro,
    No, no luck in that. You did what all of us should do, always carry a camera. You did the right thing and the result is a series of great shots.
    We can all learn from this. Thanks for sharing.
    ... And thank you for your nice comment, Andre.

  11. #11
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Great series Willie,

    I always carry a small (RAW/manual) P&S, but I wouldn't be able to replicate these with it - there'd be far too much DoF, not to mention a few other issues at 800 iso

    Congrats on carrying what might be called 'a real camera' (and lens).

    As a documentary photo, #6 does it for me; the player's concentration, the board stating the event, etc.

    Well done,
    Thanks a lot, Dave. I've read a lot of good reviews about the Fujifilm X Pro 1. I wish I have one to always carry with me everyday. Carrying a DSLR really is a bit intimidating to some but you have to work with what you have.

  12. #12
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Good work Willie

  13. #13
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Good work Willie
    Obrigado, António.

  14. #14
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    To all my friends here who likes B&W:

    Talk about luck.


    Talk about luck.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    803
    Real Name
    Gretchen

    Re: Talk about luck.

    very nice! Something about a pool room --it doesn't look right unless it's B&W ..I am really enjoying these!

  16. #16
    cliffmccartney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knoxville TN, USA
    Posts
    266
    Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Great shots Willie - I love #7 and #8. Tack sharp foregrounds and shallow DoF. Nicely done.

  17. #17
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    very nice! Something about a pool room --it doesn't look right unless it's B&W ..I am really enjoying these!
    Thanks, Gretchen. Glad you're enjoying these images.

  18. #18
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by cliffmccartney View Post
    Great shots Willie - I love #7 and #8. Tack sharp foregrounds and shallow DoF. Nicely done.
    Thanks, Cliff. Glad you like it.

  19. #19
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,538
    Real Name
    Jon

    Re: Talk about luck.

    I'm with Gretchen on the B&W...Absolutely wonderful shots. Thanks so much for sharing

  20. #20
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Talk about luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    I'm with Gretchen on the B&W...Absolutely wonderful shots. Thanks so much for sharing
    Thanks a lot, Jon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •