Thread: Postcards from Boston

Real Name
    Abhishek Chandra

Postcards from Boston

This is my first post in this Forum. I'm a beginner and would like to learn this art.
    Just wanted to start with sharing some pictures of my recent trip to Boston. I took a trip to Boston with my wife and tried to enjoy all the touristic things. A few shots I took during the trip. Few of them are from a tour boat. Just wanted to share and get some good critic. Feel free to send any kind of criticism to these pics, rooms for improvement in terms of composition or editing.
    Also let me know if you liked the "Boston Skyline" in B&W or in Color (or if none )

High res at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/abhichandra/

Postcards from Boston
    USS Constitution by abhiChandra, on Flickr
    Postcards from Boston
    Boston Skyline by abhiChandra, on Flickr
    Postcards from Boston
    Covered bridge near the Flume, Franconia Notch State Park by abhiChandra, on Flickr
    Postcards from Boston
    Flume Gorge, Franconia Notch State Park by abhiChandra, on Flickr
    Postcards from Boston
    Sunset in Cambridge by abhiChandra, on Flickr
    Postcards from Boston
    Postcards from Boston

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Postcards from Boston

Great set of photos. If that's what you come up with as a beginner then I cant wait to see what you come up with with more experience !!

Great sky in the first two.
    Wonderful mood in the third (covered bridge)

Sunset in Cambridge is a beauty! You might just want to straighten it a bit and bring up the shadows a bit.

The two skylines are both good, just different. I'd probably go for the colour but that's just me !

Dave

Real Name
    Abhishek Chandra

Thank You Dave. I started learning photography after I got my first DSLR 550D as a birthday gift from my wife . I've been learning from books and reading over internet. I can't forget to give credit to people like you who would give suggestions and help me improve. Thanks for your time. I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As Dave writes, as very good set for a first post onto the forum.

Dave refers to needing to straighten the sunset shot. I'd suggest there is a also a need to consider correcting distortion on some of the others. I do not advocate that all verticals must be absolutely vertical all of the time, but there are types of images where I do think it needs to be considered, so that the viewer is not left thinking that the distortion is there by accident.

For example, in the first image, the obilesk on the left is tilting to the right. The flagpole on the right is tilting to the left. Now, if that was intended, fine. If it was not intended, then I suggest it needs corrected by using a perspective correction tool.

I do not know how you rate your post-processing skills at this stage of your development and whether perspective correction is something you yet feel able to do. If not, it is a skill that can be learned.

I think the same question also applies to the 2(3) images of the Boston skyline.

By the way, I prefer the B & W. But that is just my personal preference.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th August 2012 at 04:08 PM.

Real Name
    Abhishek Chandra

Thanks Donald. I'm still trying to work on my Post processing skills and don't know a lot of Photoshop yet. I use lightroom and some other apps. I tried to apply the simple lens corrections but have not yet worked on the perspective correction yet. I will try to learn it and see if I will be able to fix what you mentioned. Thanks a lot for your feedback again.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Very nice series but for me its the covered bridge and the Flume Gorge that really stand out. As another beginner I'm jealous

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

I have only one word for you, Abhishek - Wow!

OK, a couple more words. You have a great photography career ahead if you continue doing this type of work. You appear to have an eye for composition. Keep up the good work.